Ronin Toad: Redux

Nace Bilby

ACME
Best answers
The Pit, Officer’s Quarters
Conrad Hart and Caitlin Todd
19 February 2002, 1755

Kate stepped out of the bathroom, wearing a pair of shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt and drying her hair with a towel.

“What a day…” Kate replied.

Conrad chuckled, from the kitchen table as he was typing away on his laptop, “Certainly was one interesting family.”

“More like a demented Addams family.” Kate quipped as she sat down across from Conrad at the table.

“You have to admit the whipped cream fight was entertaining.” Conrad replied with a grin.

“Something tells me leaving that out of my report might be the best thing.” Kate replied, flicking a strand of her still somewhat wet hair from off her forehead.

“Not exactly easy to sanitize a whipped cream fight…” Conrad began.

“More like whipped cream and slime fight, remember?” Kate replied.

“Vividly.” Conrad replied, "In either case I think that while the Delgados are nuts they're good for Todd to be around."

"Nuts is putting it mildly." Kate replied, "Shipwreck is just insane with a capital I."

"Well this is true, but you can tell he loves those kids like nothing else." Conrad replied, "And the family holds nothing back from each other."

"They're practically psychotic...but it's not a bad thing." Kate replied.

"As I recall someone's three older brothers were practically psychotic as well." Conrad quipped.

Kate laughed lightly, "Well yes, but I think the triplets could give them a run for their money."

"I'll trust the expert on her own brothers on that one." Conrad quipped.

"Very funny." Kate replied.

"Hey, I didn't have practically insane older siblings." Conrad countered.

"Because you probably were the 'practically insane older sibling'?" Kate offered.

"I'll neither confirm nor deny that." Conrad replied with a toothy grin.

"You're weird, you know that?" Kate replied.

"I prefer enigmatic." Conrad countered.

Kate shook her head, "I think the words weird, eccentric, and downright strange are more accurate."

"I do trust a lawyer to be able to argue semantics." Conrad began, indicating the law school emblem on Kate's t-shirt, just above her right breast.

"I'm not a lawyer," Kate replied, "I attended a year of law school that felt like ten years in prison."

"So what prompted the career change from student lawyer to Secret Service Agent?" Conrad asked.

"Strapping on a gun and actually preventing problems instead of arguing over their aftermath in court." Kate replied, "Maybe like the mysterious reason for your chosing to join the French Foreign Legion."

Conrad replied, "It's a rather long story, honestly. And probably about as exciting as your first year of law school."

I'm not totally sure I buy that. Kate thought to herself, then noticed a small notice on her computer screen. An email from Tim.

---

Kate,

I hope everything is going well over there. I'm honestly praying for you, especially knowing you're heading to Shipwreck's house.

I miss you. Trading little glances across the office. Talking to each other at work before we sneak off and find one of our little 'spots' to actually be affectionate with each other. Or even getting to go to Mass together when our schedules allow.

I can't wait till I'm off this Presidential Detail and we can be a lot more free about our relationship.

- Tim

---

To Be Continued...

Best answers
Color #
White
Hello Nace.

I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to read these last 2 installments until now. I loved the budding romance between Althea and Todd. I also like the interactions between Conrad and Kate, and the little bits of romance that we see in the e-mails between Kate and Tim. And there is a lot of humor, too, which is also good. But what happened to the poor parrot, Polly? LOL. :)

Nace Bilby

ACME
Best answers
@Julie Justice, glad you like the story thus far. I am eternally grateful to Red Witch, the fanfiction.net author that first thought to crossover GI Joe and X-men Evolution and inspired a veritable subculture of us on the site.

On that site itself the original author of Ronin Toad quite liked my take on her original tale.

Given in the NCIS series Tim and Kate's relationship wasn't really that well covered I thought I'd fill in the blanks up to the pilot of the series.

The Kate and Conrad interactions are the most fun to write, especially how they seem to be opposites in several ways but alike in others.

Nace Bilby

ACME
Best answers
We Belong to the Sea, Part One​

Disclaimer: Same as before

---

The Pit, Seaside Annex
Todd, Althea, Shipwreck, Conrad and Kate
20 February 2002, 0744

“So what’s going on today?” Kate asked as she, Conrad and Shipwreck stood on the shore in a small protected cove that was part of the Pit’s seaside annex.

“Well, Althea and Todd are getting lessons in underwater attacks from Wetsuit, one of the SEALs here at the Pit.” Shipwreck replied, “And you two I thought would appreciate some training in CQB on a ship.”

"CQB?" Todd asked after he came out of the small bathroom/locker room that was nearby.

"Close Quarter Battle." Conrad supplied, "Basically combat at very short ranges, used in urban warfare and the like."

“Usually shooting inside buildings, but in this case just firing inside a ship.” Kate replied.

Althea walked out of the ladies room just then, wearing a one piece blue and black bathing suit. Addressing Shipwreck she said, “Now please try not to cause any trouble today.”

“I’ll be good if you’ll be good.” Shipwreck replied.

"And how are you, Monsieur Todd?" Conrad asked.

"I've never swum in the ocean before," Todd began, tugging down on the sleeveless white t-shirt he was wearing, making sure that they covered the waistband of his orange swimming shorts.

"Really?" Shipwreck startled, "Why, swabbie, there's nothing like it! Once the smell of the sea gets in your blood, nothing can get it out. Isn't that right Wet Suit?"

Walking up to them was a muscular fellow wearing a blue wetsuit, the sleeves of the half unzipped suit tied around his waist. He wore a blue and gold t-shirt bearing the US Navy SEAL Trident.

"Nothing like it.” Wet Suit said in agreement.

“Yeah, until you can find another job you can be lazy at.” Beach Head grumbled as he walked by, in company with a fellow with slicked back red hair and a trim red beard and wearing a dark blue t-shirt and similar colored cargo pants. A holstered pistol hung in a holster strapped to his right thigh.

“Hey!” Shipwreck protested, “In my day I was the hardest working sailor to sail the Seven Seas!”

“You’re nothing but a desk jockey now!” Beach Head snapped, “You gave up a life of action to lounge around on a desk all day!”

Kate noticed that the red haired fellow stood just on the outskirts of the conversation. Commissioned officer, most definitely. Likely has some sort of law enforcement experience. I recognize that ‘field interview’ stance anywhere. Kate thought.

“You know why I did,” Shipwreck said with a dark look, “At least I didn’t do it to further my career!”

Todd and Althea gave each other knowing looks, and Kate noticed that in her peripheral vision. Kate also noticed Conrad had a clear line of sight to this as well.

Merde. Conrad thought as he noticed Althea had a dark scowl on her face. She looks like she’s about to kill Beach Head.

All of a sudden Althea’s eyes sported a wicked gleam and an equally wicked smile.

Kate felt alarm bells going off in her head. This isn’t good. With her ninja skills…

She unscrewed the lid off a water bottle and then the water came out in a column, forming itself into a ball. Todd looked like he was going to say something and then Althea put her index finger to her lips.

The small sphere of water flew through the air and drenched Beach Head from behind who turned around to glare at Althea.

“I knew you did that you little…” Beach Head began.

“Hey Beach Head,” Wet Suit called, “Is that your jeep?”

“What?” Beach Head replied, turning around to see his jeep being driven away by Tunnel Rat and Big Lob who were laughing loudly.

“HEY STOP! STOP! GET BACK HERE YOU MANIACS!” Beach Head shouted as he chased the vehicle.

“How did you do that?” Todd asked Althea.

“I dunno,” Althea replied, “I just do. I can manipulate water around me. Of course I can’t just create a tidal wave out of nowhere, but when there’s water around I can do anything with it. Create waves, make currents, that sort of stuff…”

“Cool.” Todd replied.

“Well, be good kids.” Shipwreck began, “And don’t stray too far. Okay?”

“Bye Dad!” Althea waved as Shipwreck, Conrad, Kate and the red haired man headed off.

As they walked towards the ship that was moored by the pier the red haired man introduced himself.

“Sorry I hadn’t introduced myself,” the man spoke, “Lieutenant Colonel David Lane, or Surefire for my codename. I’m an MP by trade.”

“Kate Todd, Secret Service.” Kate began, shaking the man’s hand.

“Conrad Hart, ACME.” Conrad replied.

“Well, I figured while the kids get some training in water attacks you’d appreciate a chance to shoot a few rounds.” Surefire said, with a grin.

“Lay on Macduff.” Conrad begun.

“Shakespeare. Very nice.” Surefire began, “They teach you the Bard’s work in the French Foreign Legion?”

“No, mon commandant.” Conrad replied as they walked up the gangplank into the ship.

---

Nace Bilby

ACME
Best answers
The Pit, Training Ship
Conrad, Kate, Shipwreck, Surefire
20 February 2002, 0811

“I tend to favor the grenade and the sub-machinegun (SMG) or personal defense weapon (PDW).” Conrad began.

“You don’t want to start lobbing grenades on a ship. You’ve got no idea if you might damage a fuel line, start a fire, or make a hole in the hull which could really ruin your day below the waterline.” Shipwreck began as he checked one of his two Desert Eagles.

“Compensating for something?” Kate quipped as she noticed Shipwreck’s two Desert Eagles that he was loading into holsters strapped to each thigh.

“No kill like overkill.” Shipwreck said, with a smirk.

“Personally automatics are the way to go.” Conrad replied as he hefted an AMD-65, a short barreled and compact AK-47 variant manufactured by the Hungarians.

“But no grenades for you.” Kate commented, as she checked her own Sig.

“Not interested in grabbing anything else from the armory?” Surefire replied.

“No thanks,” Kate replied, “My issued Sig works well enough. You boys can go on about all your guns.”

“Alrighty then, you’re in the lead.” Surefire said, “Stack up on that hatch over there.”

Surefire indicated a door that would lead further up to the bridge of the ship with his free hand, holding a cut down M4 carbine. Kate was in the lead, Shipwreck behind her and Conrad behind Shipwreck.

Surefire swung open the door and Kate went up the ladder well to the bridge of the ship. As she got a little over a third of the way up the stairs a pop up target sprang into being. Kate saw the figure of a man in a hoodie with a pistol in hand and accordingly fired several shots that clustered around the man's chest and neck. The target retracted.

Coming up into the bridge Kate turned right and Shipwreck turned left. Another target, this one a hostage with a terrorist wearing a ski mask holding her. Shipwreck let fly with two rounds from his Desert Eagles, putting two rounds into the forehead and nose of his target. Kate managed to gun down a second target with a knife.

Conrad and Surefire came into the room just then, Kate moved deeper, staying along the wall as Conrad entered. He sighted another target, this one a terrorist with a pistol wearing a ski mask. Conrad fired the AMD-65 in two short controlled bursts, ripping holes in the chest and head of his target. Surefire charged onto the ship's bridge, seeing a fourth target, this one unarmed so he didn't fire, but the one to the left and behind it was. He fired several rounds into the target.

"Clear and safe all weapons." Surefire shouted.

The foursome removed magazines from their weapons before taking out any chambered rounds.

"Good shooting." Surefire said, "A bit of a looser pattern of hits for you on that second target, Kate. Don't rush."

"I literally just saw him when I got into the room." Kate replied, "I couldn't see if he was a hostile or not until I got around the ship's steering console."

"Hart, not bad marksmanship either, but try to avoid overkill. Sounded like you emptied nearly half a magazine into the guy." Surefire said, "This isn't the French Foreign Legion. In law enforcement operations you have to account for every round fired, rapid single shots are better and they conserve ammo."

"If he's hopped up on something it's best to sort him with a longer burst." Conrad countered, "However I see your point in a law enforcement context."

"Shipwreck, nice shot with the dual Desert Eagles." Surefire began, "But your margin of error is really low with the .50 Action Express rounds. You miss, you'll really mess up the hostage."

"It's a good thing I know how to shoot them then." Shipwreck replied.

"Up here," Conrad said, "I think I could justify throwing grenades into the room."

"With hostages present?" Kate replied, appalled.

"Or at the very least flashbangs." Conrad countered.

"I agree with you on that." Kate replied.

"Plus with some models of flash bangs one can stick them in a frag sleeve." Conrad replied.

"Why did I just know you were going to say that?" Kate replied, "This isn't the French Foreign Legion."

"And there's also the matter of explosive breaching of watertight hatches. If done correctly they won't damage parts of the ship." Conrad replied.

"You're awfully confident in your knowledge of explosives." Kate observed.

"It's what I did when I was in the Legion, mining, demining, explosive breaching, and demolitions." Conrad replied.

"Alright, lets regroup and have a go at other sections of the ship. Hart, you're on point." Surefire replied, "Show us how you do room clearing in the Legion."

"Oui mon commandant." Conrad replied.

---

Nace Bilby

ACME
Best answers
The Pit, Seaside Annex
Todd, Althea, and Wet Suit
20 February 2002, 0814

"Ok, put this on before we get in the water." Wet Suit said as he handed Todd a silver metallic necklace.

Todd noticed that Althea was wearing one just like it.

"What does it do?" Todd asked.

"It prevents any mutant scanning devices from detecting your lifesigns in case you go out past our boundaries." Wet Suit replied, "For instance, Cerebro."

"So that's why the X-Geeks haven't found you guys yet." Todd replied.

"Who are the X-Geeks?" Wet Suit asked, puzzled.

"He means the X-men." Althea replied, as she was preparing to dive off the pier into the water.

Why does he look so nervous? He's just standing there at the edge of the pier? Althea thought.

"You're not afraid, are you?" Althea asked.

"Who, me? No, I'm not scared and...WHOA!!!" Todd replied as Althea laughed and shoved him off the pier.

Todd fell forward, arms flailing and legs bicycling. With a great splash he belly flopped into the water.

"Ow." Todd groaned, as he tread water, "Geez Al why did you have to..."

Todd stopped in mid-protest when he noticed Wet Suit staring down at him, eyes wide with amazement.

"Wh-what's the matter and..." Todd began before looking down at his arm, seeing the skin had turned a pale green shade. He let out a shriek before swimming out of sight.

"Where'd he go?" Althea asked, as she saw Todd rapidly swim out of sight, underneath the surface of the murky water.

"I didn't know he could swim so fast." Althea mused, shouting, "Todd! Todd come back! I was just kidding!"

She plunged in after him, swimming in hot pursuit.

"Oh great," Wet Suit grumbled, "Now I've lost them both."

---

To Be Continued...

Ororo Munroe

Writer
Best answers
Known Aliases
Storm, Windrider, Ororo Komo Munroe, Goddess of the (Serengetti) Plains, Weather Witch
Color #
Brown
Hello Nace.

I liked this chapter very much. I would say that is very "true to life." Young Mr. Tolansky has called my fellow X-Men and I "the X-Geeks" on many occasions...even though he knows the exact opposite is true. ;) I look forward to seeing what happens next. :)

Nace Bilby

ACME
Best answers
We Belong to the Sea, Part 2​

Disclaimer: Same as before.

---

Just Outside the Seaside Annex
Todd Tolansky and Althea Delgado
20 February 2002, 0830

Not far away from the Seaside Annex of the Pit there was a small, secluded beach. Todd climbed out of the water and with a couple hops he was behind the dunes.

"Oh man, now I really do look like a frog! Why did this have to happen? And I was just getting comfortable with my mutation too!" Todd grumbled to himself.

He crouched lower behind the dunes as he heard the sound of splashing as Althea emerged from the water.

“Todd? Where are you? Todd?” Althea called out.

“Go away! Go away!” Todd shouted, “Don’t look at me!”

Todd closed his eyes, covering his face. Oh God! She’s seen me! Man...game over…

“Todd,” Althea replied as she crested over the top of the dune, “What’s the matter?”

Oh man! I don’t wanna see the look on her face, Todd thought as Althea approached.

“Todd, what is it? Todd. Please. Look at me,” Althea began.

“I can’t,” Todd moaned.

“Yes you can now look at me,” Althea insisted.

Todd opened his eyes and moved his hands away from his face. And his eyes went wide as he exclaimed, “You’re blue!”

“Yes and you’re green,” Althea replied in an amused tone.

She’s blue, Todd thought, It’s like she’s a lighter color than Mystique.

“So your skin changes color in salt water too?” Althea replied.

“What?” Todd asked, looking down at himself, “Is that what happened?”

“You didn’t know?” Althea asked, “In my case it's kind of a chemical reaction. It’s not painful or anything, but I just can’t go to the beach like everyone else.”

“Maybe that’s the same with me?” Todd asked.

“Come on,” Althea replied, taking his hand and with a laugh dragging him back to the water. After getting into waist deep water they began to swim together. Swimming through schools of fish. Swimming around each other, letting cool water washing over their bodies.

Is this what it’s like to fall in love? Todd thought as he swam, hand in hand with her underneath the surface of the ocean.

He had never felt so accepted, so wanted in all of his life. He looked into Althea’s eyes as they turned to face one another.

How can someone so shy and timid be so wonderful? Althea thought. I never want today to end...I’ll never forget today if I live to be over a hundred.

---

The Pit, Seaside Annex
Wet Suit, Shipwreck, Surefire, Kate, Conrad
20 February 2002, 0845

“Run away? What do you mean, run away?” Shipwreck began.

“Exactly what it sounds like,” Wet Suit replied as he started to make some last minute checks on one of the motorboats tied up along the pier of the Pit’s Seaside Annex.

“Wait, back up, Wet Suit,” Surefire began, “What provoked that? From all of the things Roadblock’s told me and Psyche-Out’s assessment on the kid this isn’t usual behavior for him.”

“Althea pushed him into the water and his skin turned green the he freaked out and swam off,” Wet Suit replied now starting the engines of the boat.

“Did you know the kid had that ability?” Kate asked Shipwreck.

“It’s news to me,” Shipwreck replied as he walked down to start undoing some lines forward on the boat.

“Maybe that’s why he ran off,” Kate replied.

“More like swam off,” Conrad countered.

“Fine, swam off. Argue semantics much, Hart?” Kate replied.

“Only on certain days of the week,” Conrad quipped as he helped undo some lines aft.

Kate and Surefire hopped into the boat and after Shipwreck and Conrad had tossed their lines onto the boat they got onboard as well.

“Hopefully they didn’t get too far,” Wet Suit replied as engaged the throttles and began to drive the boat out of the harbor.

---

20 February 2002, 0945

“Watch this,” Althea said, and with a wave of her arm the waves grew larger, carrying her and Todd on a hand in hand ride upon the crests of the waves.

When the wave crashed back down, Todd and Althea swam side by side underwater for a little bit before surfacing, treading water.

With a couple deep breaths Althea began, “I really, really like you Todd Tolansky.”

Did I really hear her say that? Or did I just get a lot of water in my ears?
Todd thought, then he noticed the blush on Althea’s face. Then feeling her pulling him closer and kissing him.

Todd blinked and blush, the pink of the blush mixing with his green color. Tentatively, at first, he kissed her back. I’ll never forget this moment.

After the kiss broke, for want of air, Todd began, “I just realized something. I don’t know your code name.”

“That’s because I don’t have one,” Althea replied.

“No code name?” Todd replied, “That just doesn’t seem right, yo.”

With a smile as they held hands Althea asked, “Then what would you call me?”

Todd thought for a few moments and smiled before saying, “Wavedancer. ‘Cause of the way you. You’re like a dancer in the water.”

She smiled, “Wavedancer. I love it.”

Althea clasped Todd’s hand and with her powers they rode the waves some more. After a few more minutes Althea sighed, “We better head back. Wet Suit’s probably having a conniption looking for us.”

“I can’t go back looking like this.” Todd yelped.

“Why not?” Althea countered, “They've seen me like this.”

“They’ll laugh at me,” Todd replied.

“For crying out loud!” Althea rolled her eyes and gently tugged on Todd’s hand, “If you weren’t so cute I wouldn’t know what I see in you! Come with me!”

Todd nodded weakly and the two swam hand in hand back towards the Pit’s Seaside Annex.

---

Nace Bilby

ACME
Best answers
Wet Suit, Shipwreck, Surefire, Kate, Conrad
20 February 2002, 1051

“There! Did you see that huge wave to the right?” Kate shouted over the din of the boat’s engine.

“Off the starboard side,” Shipwreck corrected, “Nautical term is starboard for right and port for left.”

“Whatever,” Kate replied.

Conrad lifted a pair of binoculars to his eyes as Kate pointed at a second large wave before saying, “I see what looks like two people bodysurfing in that wave.”

“I’ll steer us towards it.” Wet Suit said, gunning the engine, causing Kate to lose her footing and fall forward.

Conrad managed to arrest her fall, but wound up falling over on his back, Kate lying on top of him.

With a wry smile the ex-Legionnaire said, “Don’t you think we should go to dinner first?”

“Very funny,” Kate replied with a smirk as she tried to get to her feet.

“If you two are done canoodling we’ve got two kids to find,” Surefire chimed in as he and Shipwreck helped Conrad and Kate to their feet.

“Do you always drive boats like that, Wet Suit?” Kate asked the SEAL as she regained her footing.

“You landlubbers,” Shipwreck countered with an amused belly laugh.

Conrad raised his binoculars to his eyes and saw two people treading water, “To your half right!”

Wet Suit nodded and turned the boat slightly, slowing down as he approached the two teenagers in the water.

---

20 February 2002, 1048

It was just after they had begun their swim back towards the Pit that Althea and Todd noticed the small boat heading their way.

Todd promptly hid behind Althea as the boat neared them. Althea rolled her eyes and said, “Just duck underwater for a minute and I’ll explain everything.”

As Todd complied Althea could make out the faces of Agents Hart and Todd, Surefire, Shipwreck and Wet Suit in the small boat.

“Where’s Todd?” Kate asked, without any preamble as she reached downward to help Althea into the boat.

“He’s just behind me, he had a little situation with his powers and freaked out a little,” Althea explained, “Try not to get too freaked out that he’s a little green right now.”

“Alright,” Kate replied and turned to explain to the others, seeing Althea go underwater out of the corner of her eye.

Althea gave Todd a thumbs up and the boy nervously surfaced. Shipwreck reached down to help Althea back onto the boat and Conrad helped Todd.

Meanwhile Kate had reached into a box near the steering console and withdrew two towels and draped them over the shoulders of the two teenagers. Then Wet Suit gunned the motors of the boat and headed back towards the Seaside Annex.

After about ten minutes Todd’s skin turned back to its normal pale color. With a smile Althea took his hand and said, “See it’s not so bad afterall.”

Todd returned the smile as he looked into her eyes and replied, “No, it’s not.”

Todd, of course spoke more about his feelings than the little episode with his skin as they continued their trip.

---

The Pit, Officer’s Quarters
Conrad Hart and Kate Todd
20 February 2002, 1644

“That certainly was an interesting day,” Kate began as she sat down at the kitchen table and powered up her laptop before reaching into a pocket and pulling out her PDA.

“That it most certainly was,” Conrad replied as he took out his notebook and laid it beside his own laptop, and typing up an email from his notes.

Kate rummaged around through her backpack and pulled out a docking station and USB cable for her PDA and plugged it into her laptop, “I think my way’s a bit faster.”

“To each his or her own, mademoiselle,” Conrad replied.

“This whole development with Todd and Althea is certainly going into my report,” Kate replied.

“Ah, young love,” Conrad commented wistfully.

Kate smiled and replied, “I mean just look at those two for even a couple minutes and you can tell that their being in each others’ lives is only a good thing.”

Conrad nodded as he continued to type his report, “I agree and my own report is to say just as much. Having Althea in his life is what the boy needs. Even if he’s likely to have insane in laws.”

“That’s a bit premature, don’t you think?” Kate replied.

“Not at all,” Conrad replied, “With some couples you just can tell.”

Kate wistfully smiled, “Good point. My parents are the same way. They were high school sweethearts, Dad got drafted to go to Vietnam and Mom waited for him.”

Conrad replied, “My grand-mère and grand-père were much the same. Every morning as the sun rises grand-mère walks along the beach to remember. She’s done this for as long as I can remember.”

Kate felt a lump rise in her throat, “I can’t imagine what it’s like to lose someone you love like that.”

“Someday I want to find what became of grand-père,” Conrad replied, “If for nothing else my family knows what became of him beyond the words ‘Missing in Action’.”

“I hope you find what you’re looking for,” Kate replied, “And back to the present day, that’s part of the reason I’m definitely making my observation that the Delgados, while insane, are a good influence on Todd.”

“Likewise. They certainly keep things interesting,” Conrad replied.

“Interesting isn’t the word I’d use to describe Shipwreck and his family,” Kate replied, with a smile as she typed another email.

“Yes, I’m definitely looking forward to our ‘Delayed Valentine’s Day’,” Kate said softly as she typed the sentence.

“Excuse me?” Conrad said.

“Oh,” Kate replied, with a slight wince, “Did I say that out loud?”

“You did,” Conrad replied, “and it’s nothing I wouldn’t have been surprised by.”

“Oh, why is that?”

“A beautiful woman like you not having someone in her life,” Conrad replied.

Kate felt herself blush, “Well given my line of work has me on the job 24/7 it’s not easy. But Tim at least understands that.”

“How so?” Conrad replied, curious.

“He’s on the Presidential Detail with me,” Kate replied. Damn it, I said too much.

Conrad noticed the slight regret at Kate’s admission, but declined to press on the matter. Must be against their rules or something to that effect.

“Dating fellow members of the Presidential Detail is against regulations,” Kate replied, “So I’d appreciate it if…”

Conrad replied, “Think nothing of it.”

“So is there someone in your life?” Kate asked.

“That’s something I’d honestly rather not discuss,” Conrad replied.

“Okay, I’m sorry if I brought up a sore subject,” Kate apologized.

“It’s quite alright, you didn’t know, mademoiselle,” Conrad replied.

I wonder if that has something to do with his mysterious reason for joining the French Foreign Legion? I know one cliche of a reason men joined the French Foreign Legion was because of being romantically rejected. I wonder if that’s true of Conrad? Kate thought.

---

Tim,

Like I said over the phone: Yes, I’m definitely looking forward to our Delayed Valentine’s Day.

I saw something very beautiful today. The two kids, Althea and Todd, are clearly high school sweethearts and in my professional opinion as a profiler, soulmates. If you saw them you would definitely see that.

God, I miss you.

Kate

P.S. I love you.

---

To Be Continued...

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Affirmative
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just found a wolf spider in my house. :D
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    one of the GOOD spiders you want around because they eat all the really bad bugs in the house. We put them outside :)
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know there are over 400 species of parrots in the world??
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know David Attenborough was knighted twice? First in 1985, and again in 2002
    • Wow
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Jade and Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    @Lucy ... don't know if you really want wolf spiders in your home... I'd go for jumping spiders, they can't bite... wolf spiders are the fast movers, and they can bite.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    And, jumpers are cute
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((Will lose my ACP internet towards the end of the month, unless anyone knows about it ending sooner. Trying to switch my Lifeline phone to a better provider that doesn't shut me off after four and a half gigs of data, nothing but failure so far and "call here" and "it's on their end" and the back and forth crap... in the morning, it's time to demand the supervisor and might even get to harsh language (after three days of that). I plan to use the Lifeline phone tethered as Internet source, share that to my own router... I've done it before (it's messy, and not 100% effective, but it works). ))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((The 'net is the main way to apply for jobs now, so I need that, and I've moved/changed Lifeline providers before without an issue, so no idea what the problem is. I have active Verizon through ACP, active Lifeline through Airtalk... is that somehow the issue? If anyone knows, please let me know before I tear someone a new one (ya know what I mean). After three days of this, and two days about a month ago, I'm ready to walk there with katana in hand.))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the phone I have (Samsung Galaxy S9... gotten for free through Airtalk... note to anyone: if you choose a nice phone through them, you are locked into a 120 day "commitment" to get the phone for free, and they have a very hard data limit... once you use up your data, they cut you off, point blank.))
    Quote Link
    Jon Eckart Jon Eckart: ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the...