Machines Discussion

Lucy

ACME Canine Unit
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Alice, Luce, Lulu
Basically the program has parameters. If one of the preprogrammed if functions happens the machine does a then function. It tells the machine what to do when something happens. But if it isn’t programmed in the machine can’t react to what happens.
I see. Not even a plausible fear. ??
 
Best answers
3
Color #
White
Basically the program has parameters. If one of the preprogrammed if functions happens the machine does a then function. It tells the machine what to do when something happens. But if it isn’t programmed in the machine can’t react to what happens.
That make sense to me.

I remember in jr. high in 1984, when we first started to learn about computers. Our very small classroom was given an Apple to share. I don't remember if it was an Apple 2e or not. No Carmen game yet.
The closet thing we had to an educational game was Hangman and Wheel of Fortune (which was spelling. of course).

We learned the basics, RAM and ROM, bytes, etc. We leaned a tiny bit of programming to teach us this very thing. ? I was very good at the basic programming, creating files to save school work (which was important, since we all shared the computer ?). I was good at it back then, but that was because it was words only--no numbers. I have a mild--yet very real learning disability when it comes to math. ?
 
Last edited:
Best answers
3
Color #
White
I see. Not even a plausible fear. ??
In theory, it COULD happen, but the main questions are WHY would someone want to create something so intelligent that it would be able to create others like itself? (Haven't they seen any of the movies we have mentioned? !! ?)

How long will it take to mass-produce something like that?

And, how will people get it?/ Who will be able to afford it, initially? Not very many people I would think. ?
 
Best answers
3
Color #
White
Whoops, nevermind…
I think I saw ""Chloe" on "Modern Marvels" on The History Channel.

Her overall appearance and facial expressions are very realistic; but the very precise way she moves her arms and hands is a little too perfect and mechanical. Also we are really focused on "Chloe" in this interview, too. But if they did this Turing test with many people in a more "social" setting, I can see why she passed it.

The thing that I think is the most creepy thing is the very end, when she says, "They have something I could never have...A soul."

Maybe I have watched too many of the previously mentioned sci-fi movies where the machines rise up against the humans. ?
 
Last edited:

Lucy

ACME Canine Unit
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Alice, Luce, Lulu
That make sense to me.

I remember in jr. high in 1984, when we first started to learn about computers. Our very small classroom was given an Apple to share. I don't remember if it was an Apple 2e or not. No Carmen game yet.
The closet thing we had to an educational game was Hangman and Wheel of Fortune (which was spelling. of course).

We learned the basics, RAM and ROM, bytes, etc. We leaned a tiny bit of programming to teach us this very thing. ? I was very good at the basic programming, creating files to save school work (which was important, since we all shared the computer ?). I was good at it back then, but that was because it was words only--no numbers. I have a mild--yet very real learning disability when it comes to math. ?

That's cool @Julie Justice ! I read an article not too long ago where not many people know it anymore but states need help with it.

 
Best answers
3
Color #
White
That's cool @Julie Justice ! I read an article not too long ago where not many people know it anymore but states need help with it.

Wow. That's really interesting. Thanks, @Lucy. I don't remember even knowing that kind of programming even had a name. Lol. It was fairly easy for me to do back then; but we're taking about one Apple shared in a small classroom of less then 10 kids; and even though I know a version of the internet has been in existence ever since the very first computers (former US Senator and future VP Al Gore did not create it. ?) this was long before the modern internet that we're all using now. So it wasn't really about "networking. It was literally to explain the concept of programming as it related to the computer. I don't really remember any of it, and I don't know if I'd have the same aptitude--or patience--for it now. ?
 

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Laverna Laverna:
    This fanfic series is good it's disablity awareness Stories
    Quote Link
  • Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Was just thinking, when someone says think outside the box....why does it have to be a box? Why can't it be anything you want? Like a closet? Or a door? Hehe
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    But also....why does there have to be a box at all?
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay this might need to become a topic....here's one step further..."Why are we assuming thinking has an “inside” and an “outside” at all?"
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Why did we decide creativity requires escaping from something? Why do so many of our metaphors for creativity imply that ordinary thinking is a restriction?
    Quote Link
  • Victorique Victorique:
    It's because it hinges on the idea that everyone wants to be ordinary (aka "normal") and that being anything other should be punishable socially. It stems from imperial modes of thinking that harm people not white-cis-straight-abled-perisex-etc because the idea of normal is centred on "some guy"-isms
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    . Who likes my drawing of honey senpai
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Deric Storm Deric Storm:
    Lucy said:
    Why did we decide creativity requires escaping from something? Why do so many of our metaphors for creativity imply that ordinary thinking is a restriction?
    Because creativity is also associated with freedom
    • Love
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • L :
    Guest LavernaS has joined the room.
  • L (Guest) LavernaS:
    Hey I lost access to here. My email is messlingkiddo2@Gmail.com if you want to reach me
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Laverna I'm sure the admin could fix that :) maybe
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    I'm. Back in
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    Well as charlet
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    yay you got back in :)
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    but also....is @Tenchi Masaki doing okay? :(
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Well yes actually. I was sick(lost my voice) and now I'm better and on vacation @Lucy
    • Love
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    This has been bugging me for days.... what is with the military/ ACME and the acronyms?
    Quote Link
  • Deric Storm Deric Storm:
    IDK. WDYM
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I rest my case, your honor.
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    ACME were peacekeepers in the world wars
    • Wow
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I must have either forgotten something again with my horrible memory problems or not seen that part of the site. Tenchi :D
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Unrelated question....are political questions allowed? Also really confused why people keep calling the U.S. a democracy when we are supposed to be a Republic....
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Sorry....noted. no political questions sorry again...
    Quote Link
  • Deric Storm Deric Storm:
    Lucy said:
    Unrelated question....are political questions allowed? Also really confused why people keep calling the U.S. a democracy when we are supposed to be a Republic....
    Define "political questions". Also, we are a constitutional Republic with Democratically elected representation. I will argue until my dying day that the greatest thing the Founding Fathers created was the Electoral College
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
    Deric Storm Deric Storm: Unrelated question....are political questions allowed? Also really confused why people keep...
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Top