Machines Discussion

Lucy

ACME Canine Unit
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Alice, Luce, Lulu
I'm thinking about how it comes up a lot in movies and what would happen if machines got smarter than the people who make them. Like Sal 5000 or something. What are your thoughts on this?
 

Tenchi Masaki

ACME Ace Detective, Inventor
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Tenko(don't ask), Kami Jack, Guy Smart, Tenten
Color #
035096
They would seek to separate from or replace people of course.
 

Laverna

Goddess of thieves
Best answers
0
Known Aliases
Ferret
Brat
Bonnie Parker
Bon park
I hope they like me and don’t try to kill me. Like that movie called mother
 

Tenchi Masaki

ACME Ace Detective, Inventor
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Tenko(don't ask), Kami Jack, Guy Smart, Tenten
Color #
035096
Um, it would depend on the programming. Babysitter bots would only exist if humanity built them to do everything for us. Otherwise they would exterminate humanity seeing them as illogical and impulsive life forms
 

Lucy

ACME Canine Unit
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Alice, Luce, Lulu
I refuse to believe in artificial intelligence until I see proof of the real thing
(1) Navigation apps
(2) rideshare apps
(3) 3D photography
(4) Facial recognition
(5) smart assistants
(6) social media and Netflix/Hulu etc recommendations
(7) online banking
(8) autonomous vehicles
 

Tenchi Masaki

ACME Ace Detective, Inventor
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Tenko(don't ask), Kami Jack, Guy Smart, Tenten
Color #
035096
Those aren't A.I. hey are simply programming that follows a bunch of If Then statements. It is an unsurprising marketing gimmick that will lessen the impact of the real thing when it finally arrives. If the software. If the machine cannot pass the Turing test it is not Artificial Intelligence. But companies lie and call it A.I. anyway.
 

Lucy

ACME Canine Unit
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Alice, Luce, Lulu
You know, Tenchi. I remember the If statements when I was trying to learn Ruby. Not Ruby on rails.

If 2.even?
puts 123
end

I should get back on that and try again. But can you expand on this please. I'm not sure I'm understanding.
 

Tenchi Masaki

ACME Ace Detective, Inventor
Best answers
1
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Tenko(don't ask), Kami Jack, Guy Smart, Tenten
Color #
035096
Basically the program has parameters. If one of the preprogrammed if functions happens the machine does a then function. It tells the machine what to do when something happens. But if it isn’t programmed in the machine can’t react to what happens.
 

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Laverna Laverna:
    This fanfic series is good it's disablity awareness Stories
    Quote Link
  • Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Was just thinking, when someone says think outside the box....why does it have to be a box? Why can't it be anything you want? Like a closet? Or a door? Hehe
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    But also....why does there have to be a box at all?
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay this might need to become a topic....here's one step further..."Why are we assuming thinking has an “inside” and an “outside” at all?"
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Why did we decide creativity requires escaping from something? Why do so many of our metaphors for creativity imply that ordinary thinking is a restriction?
    Quote Link
  • Victorique Victorique:
    It's because it hinges on the idea that everyone wants to be ordinary (aka "normal") and that being anything other should be punishable socially. It stems from imperial modes of thinking that harm people not white-cis-straight-abled-perisex-etc because the idea of normal is centred on "some guy"-isms
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    . Who likes my drawing of honey senpai
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Deric Storm Deric Storm:
    Lucy said:
    Why did we decide creativity requires escaping from something? Why do so many of our metaphors for creativity imply that ordinary thinking is a restriction?
    Because creativity is also associated with freedom
    • Love
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • L :
    Guest LavernaS has joined the room.
  • L (Guest) LavernaS:
    Hey I lost access to here. My email is messlingkiddo2@Gmail.com if you want to reach me
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Laverna I'm sure the admin could fix that :) maybe
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    I'm. Back in
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    Well as charlet
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    yay you got back in :)
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    but also....is @Tenchi Masaki doing okay? :(
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Well yes actually. I was sick(lost my voice) and now I'm better and on vacation @Lucy
    • Love
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    This has been bugging me for days.... what is with the military/ ACME and the acronyms?
    Quote Link
  • Deric Storm Deric Storm:
    IDK. WDYM
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I rest my case, your honor.
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    ACME were peacekeepers in the world wars
    • Wow
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I must have either forgotten something again with my horrible memory problems or not seen that part of the site. Tenchi :D
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Unrelated question....are political questions allowed? Also really confused why people keep calling the U.S. a democracy when we are supposed to be a Republic....
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Sorry....noted. no political questions sorry again...
    Quote Link
  • Deric Storm Deric Storm:
    Lucy said:
    Unrelated question....are political questions allowed? Also really confused why people keep calling the U.S. a democracy when we are supposed to be a Republic....
    Define "political questions". Also, we are a constitutional Republic with Democratically elected representation. I will argue until my dying day that the greatest thing the Founding Fathers created was the Electoral College
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
    Deric Storm Deric Storm: Unrelated question....are political questions allowed? Also really confused why people keep...
    • Like
    Reactions: Lucy
    Top