VILE Trickster
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Joey, Joseph,
Color #
8a2be2
Joe was born to a woman named Lisa Salvatore, in a small town in Northern Italy. Lisa, a single mother, died almost immediately after childbirth due to a combination of malnutrition and procedural complications. Before she died, she managed to name her son after the hospital - St Joseph's.

The infant was brought to the local orphanage to be raised by the nuns. They noticed that Joe was an exceptionally bright kid who had a knack for puzzles and mischief. He also seemed to like playing with the animals and had a gift for befriending them.

When Joe was about 8 years old, he was adopted by a foreign businessman who promised to give him a good home. The man would turn out to be the infamous Gentlemen Thief, William 'Willy' Kerrigan.

William became both a mentor and father figure to Joe and trained him to be his protege. Whilst raising Joe to be a gentlemen of the old school, William would teach Joe the fine art of grifting and heisting. William had strict rules about what could be stolen and what could not, and Joe would later learn that William's rules were mostly adapted from the unwritten code of thieves' honour.

(An example of one such rule instilled into young Joe was that works of art, statues and historical items were all considered priceless treasures due to their cultural value. Such treasure, once obtained, should not be sold for monetary gain but rather returned or donated to a worthy museum or other such establishment. Such treasure should only be stolen for the challenge or thrill of the theft.)

William was also a tinkerer and inspired a love in Joe for tinkering with odd gadgets and re-purposed magic tricks and pranks. William would often use these gadgets (such as his trademark cane which hid a smokescreen) in his escapades and Joe would adopt this technique in his own future endeavors.

When the time was right, Willy released Joe and told him to carve his own path. Joe spent a year travelling around the world and pulling small heists while trying to find his own style and niche. Joe would eventually settle upon a Jester's costume, combining magic tricks, re-purposed pranks and grifting trickery in order to pull off audacious heists. Joe would adopt the moniker "Joe Kerr" a pun on the combination of his own first name and Willy's last name.

Joe returned to Italy to search for Willy and found him in the local cemetery of the town he had grown up in. Willy had apparently been hiding his cancer from Joe and finally surrendered to the illness a month after Joe had left on his journey of personal discovery.

After settling affairs and paying a final goodbye to Willy, Joe moved out of Italy and would rent a small apartment near Tivoli Gardens to serve as a safehouse while he continued his 'career'.

Sometime later, Joseph would run into the only thief other than William whom he truly respected - Carmen Sandiego. Having heard a lot about Carmen through Willy's stories as well as the news, Joe was only too eager to join up with the Queen of Thieves and soon became VILE's resident trickster.

And the rest, they say, is history.

Last edited:

Chase

Director
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Boss (situational)
Color #
What was the first thing Joe stole, why, and what were his feelings towards that act?

Joe Kerr

VILE Trickster
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Joey, Joseph,
Color #
8a2be2
What was the first thing Joe stole, why, and what were his feelings towards that act?
The first thing Joseph ever stole professionally was a wallet; Willy had made him steal one as part of his slight-of-hand training (read: pickpocketing).

Joseph was fine with learning the craft but he was uncomfortable with stealing money. Willy then made him give it back to the poor mark by means of his grifting skills, which Joseph gladly did.

Willy assured Joseph that it was perfectly acceptable to be uncomfortable with stealing money, in fact such feelings showed that he was honourable; The whole pickpocketing challenge, as it turns out, was also Willy's test of Joe's character.

To Joseph, there is big difference between the 'art of stealing' and stealing for personal gain. Despite his early upbringing, he has no issues with the former, but he frowns heavily upon the latter as it almost always results in people getting hurt.

Chase

Director
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Boss (situational)
Color #
Tell me a story that Willy told Joe about Carmen Sandiego? You can pick any, or give me more than one occasion. But in particular, give me something that influences his reasoning to join her.

Joe Kerr

VILE Trickster
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Joey, Joseph,
Color #
8a2be2
And thus, why no mention of this Lucille?
1. Lucille is part of Willy's backstory, not Joseph's.

2. Lucille died before Joseph was even adopted by Willy. Joseph never got a chance to meet her. Willy did tell stories about their great romance to Joseph though.

Joe Kerr

VILE Trickster
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Joey, Joseph,
Color #
8a2be2
Do you think Willy would be proud of you and what you've accomplished since his passing?
All Willy ever wanted was for me to continue the legacy of the honourable thief and to create my own family; in a way I think I have done both so yes, I think he would be proud.

Patty

Valkyrie
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Patt, Patts, Petite, Amber Cecelia Argos, Valkyrie
Color #
8d8844
What was Joe's first day with Willie like? What did he do with him, where did they go? And also, what was his last day with Willie like? How did they say goodbye, or did they even get to?

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((So... is it me or does the board not process double-space between sentences as double-space? Kinda bugs me, but I'll live))
    Quote Link
  • I :
    Guest invaderhorizongreen has joined the room.
  • I (Guest) invaderhorizongreen:
    Deric Storm said:
    Invader, have you checked your spam folder. Sometimes, I've had password reset emails go in there
    yes I have checked spam nothing
    Quote Link
    I even have the site white listed, for a wild shot can any of you post a new question in the guessing game I had set up
    Quote Link
    I would like to see if that will get my email to ping
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
    I know that might just be a shot in the dark but why not try
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Sure why not?
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I hope you get it fixed Invader!!
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Dj Inn(Djinn) :
    Dj Inn(Djinn) has left the room.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Good Morning everybody. I hope you all have a wonderful day :)
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know a group of Jellyfish is called a Smack? -Nat Geo
    Quote Link
    Smack O’ jellies is now a term
    • Haha
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((OOC: So, I am still here (at least, while ACP is still a thing, then I have to tether my phone to my laptop, send it's internet to Ethernet to my router and setup my other laptop to access that... I managed it once totally by accident)... updating stuff I'm working on is not a fun process (if anyone checks my stories folder on my Google Drive) anymore... the laptop at my desk is old (Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz, 4 gigs RAM, Win7 Ultimate)... Chrome won't update, Drive won't work... I'm stuck using FreeFileSync to keep stuff up to datep things synced. I have plans of getting a job and having money to have something better (a doorstop is better)
    • Love
    Reactions: Julie Justice
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm sorry if any of my posts are/could be inflammatory or anything... some of them are stuff I've had in the pipeline for a while, and I messed with it enough to get it postable... that's why there are dates showing when I started working on stuff... I'm not, and never have been, trying to step on anyone's toes or say "this is how it should be"... I have no say here, not sure who does these days (like I posted... maybe this is a test to see if we devolve into chaos). Posts like Hierarchy were started long ago, and meant as a guideline and not because I'm the voice of Sauron.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I don't have the time to be here a whole lot, I don't have much beyond mom to help with my rent (and once I have a job, that'll take up more time, though I will keep working on stuff (both for here and not) as often as possible, and post when possible on here. I have a question that needs some clarification... being that we are supposed to get permission from the person if we use their character in an addition/story/post, how would that apply if the character is core to the universe (like Carmen... I can replace @Chase, maybe cobble someone into @Ivy's place... but, like @Carmen, being that she's a major character, as long as I don't have her acting or write a major part for her, would that circumvent the rule at all?
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm just curious... the absence of the major's leaves a gap that I'm not sure what to do with anything... we (the Left Behind) could do a story together (or some stories separate), and that'd be cool, but without being able to use any major's, I'm not sure where to take anything. And, yeah... you can probably guess what my typing is like here (or anyplace else)... I type here or in Word, I type something (or notepad), and 15-20+ seconds later it shows up, so I have to stay on top of my grammar and spelling. I have to keep on top of all that, because I'm working on the big Carmen story at the same time, so I can't slip off my game.))
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Julie Justice Julie Justice:
    @Jon Eckart Not exactly sure if I understand all your computer probs. I hope you get those resolved soon. Yes, I have many probs with my basic Google Chrome, too. I think it's fair to say we all have a love/hate relationship with technology. 😆 As far as your stories are concerned, you can use any cannon character you like, whether there is a person playing that role on here or not. Say the story is a fanfiction; and that the version of Chase, or Carmen (or whoever) from the computer games, gameshow (or whatever). We don't do Netflix Carmen, mostly because of the violence. And because it is fanfiction, you can also create other characters and situations to suit your story. Now, Chase, Carme, Ivy (or whoever) were here, of course, you would ask their permission; tell them your idea; and if they like it they might write it with you. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you for a friendship with someone on--and off-site, you might form a partnership with them, and write stories together (like Chase and Carmen; or Chase and Ivy; or Lucy and I) and then you will just put a statement saying that this story is a co-write with whoever. In fact, if you collaborate with this person a lot, people will just assume they have your permission; although you should always say it anyway, just as a common courtesy. In fact, ironically, the only people whose permission you must always ask to use their characters are "original" characters, who are creations of their individual writers (which most of us on here, are) specifically because we are not cannon. I hope that makes sense. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you want to write something, but don't have a lot of time, I would suggest posting a status; or replying to someone else's status. Or you could start a guessing game. Look under Forums/Guessing Games, and look at some things other people have done, to give you ideas. I hope that helps. 🙂
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know that the Mockingbird is the state bird of 5 states? Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas.
    Quote Link
    It seems the Mock-5 is unstoppable... Go Speed Go!
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just heard on the news they're going to have to remove the Sakura trees in Washington because of damage to a sea wall. They have to build a sea wall and replant new trees.
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    They were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the cut down trees to propagate new ones
    Quote Link
    Lucy Lucy: Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the...