A Sweet Surprise

Best answers
Color #
White
( Writer's note: Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House, is a real place in San Francisco; I first learned of it on Feb. 20, when I had a cold, IRL, and decided to incorporate that into my writing here, and looked for a place that would deliver chicken soup, etc, to Julie's apartment in the Russian Hill neighborhood. All food items described are real and can be found on the restaurant's website, online. All characters mentioned are completely fictitious, for the purpose of this story.)

Thursday, August 1, 2019.

Standing alone in the cream-colored hallway of her apartment building, made brighter by the early evening sun, after a long day at work, always cautious, Julie glanced around, as she took her keychain out of her purse and unlocked the door. Opening the door, and glanced into her buttercream yellow kitchen; and satisfied that things seemed to as she had left them, she walked quickly through the door, closing it behind her. She wiped her feet on washable, black doormat on the kitchen floor. She walks across her black and white tile floor, in a classic checkerboard pattern, and and turned on her small grey and silver small 4.75 H 9.25 in. W 32.5 in D AM/FM weather alert AC/DC portable radio, with large vertical numbers, and a small silver tuner knob on the right side, and put it on her favorite local FM station, known for a mix of music from the 1970's-'80's. Then she walked over to her white refrigerator with the French doors and took down a menu for Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House. She walled over the small wooden side-table, to the right side of the door, to the answering machine/cordless phone combo and picked up the phone, and made a call to the curry house.

The phone was answered on the second ring, by what sounded like a young man, in his teens or twenties. "Hello, this is the curry house. May I take your order?," he asked.

"Yes, this is Julie Justice, and I'd like an order of chicken jalfrezi and iced tea, delivered to Garden Vista Apartments, 2 B, Lombard Street."

"Yes, Miss Justice we know your address. It should be about 5 to 10 minutes."

"That's fine, thank you," Julie says and hanging up the phone, setting it down on the counter. She glances at the menu again, and takes $13.95 out of her purse and puts it on the white faux marble counter, closest to the door.

She opens the door, leaving it slightly ajar, and walks through her kitchen into her baby blue bedroom, leaving the door open slightly, she walks over to the open bathroom door, and takes a long, kimono sleeve, lightweight, heather grey self-tie robe, from a hook on the inside of the bathroom door. She walks over to her leather office chair, and sits down, and unties, and takes off her shoes, and begins changing out of her uniform.

Just as she is about to put on the robe, she hears a knock at the door, and the voice of a young man announces, loudly,"Hello? !! Miss Justice? !! Order from Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House."

Julie says loudly,"You can pick up the money on the counter, and leave the food there, too. And close the door when you leave. Thanks."

"Okay, very good. Thanks for your order and enjoy your dinner," the young man replied, closing the door behind him.

"I'm sure I will, thanks," Julie yelled back. Tying the robe around her, she stepped into her washable grey velour slippers and walks into the kitchen.

She walks over to the kitchen door, and seeing that it was closed, she decides to lock it. She walks over to the sink, and washes and dries her hands. She goes over to the small white plastic dish drainer on the counter by the sink, and takes out a small white plate, and a serving spoon. She takes a few steps over to the black, 5.5 in. x 2 in x 4. 75 in. cast iron, vertical half-oval, ornate lattice pattern napkin-holder, and takes out a white paper napkin, and puts it on the counter. She gets a clean fork out of the compartment on the front of the dish drainer, and puts it on the paper napkin.

Julie walks over to the counter to check out the food, and sees 2 bags with a logo on the bag: the word "Kennedy's" in a Celtic-style font, in dark green letters; outlined in orange; in the middle of the vertical line of the "K" is a golden yellow braid design; a shamrock in the place of the apostrophe; under that, the words "Irish Pub" in a slightly smaller font, in orange letters; underneath that, a dark green "V" symbol that denotes a "vegan friendly" menu; next a to that, is a ? and in a smaller font in red letters are the words "Indian Cuisine--Open Late."

"That's strange. Why is there another bag?" Julie asked aloud. A square white envelope with "Julie Justice" written in neat and masculine handwriting was stapled to the folded end of one of the bags. Very carefully, Julie opens the envelope and finds a note on folded piece of lined paper and a card. On the back of the card is typed: "Durga, an incarnation of the Mother Goddess of the Hindu religion has existed since before the Creation of the Universe. She is the Goddess of Justice. She maintains a peaceful demeanor protecting the innocent, fighting evil wherever she finds it using the weapons of a warrior: the Conch Shell (the word "Om"-- the sound of the name of God) the Bow and Arrow (Energy) the Lotus Flower (future success) Chakra (Control over the Universe) the Sword (Knowledge, free from all doubts) and the Trident (Swata-Inactivity, Rajas--Activity and Tumas--Non Activity) representing physical and spiritual miseries. She is often depicted with a Lion, which represents the assurance of freedom from fear. Durga is still worshiped today throughout India and Asia."
10154387_290494424438465_8166952729711267234_n.jpg

After reading the card, Julie puts it aside and opens the folded note, and reads it:
"Hello Julie,

I thought you might call tonight after a long day at work. I know that today is your birthday, and I thought you might enjoy a sweet treat after dinner, so I'm sending you some galub jamun. I'm the co-owner and in charge of the Indian menu here at the restaurant.

I am planning on attending a free, family-friendly Diwali event with my daughters and a few other relatives at the Santa Clara Fairgrounds 344 Tully Rd, in San Jose on Oct. 19, from noon-11:00 pm. In addition to food, games, and rides, etc. there is also a fancy dress competition, meaning that sometimes people dress in costumes, too, and my youngest daughter has convinced me to go as Lord Rama. Everyone is welcome, and if you are not too busy, it would be fun to see Justice there, too.

Please call the restaurant, after you finish your food, to tell me if you liked it, and so that we may talk.

Sincerely,

Sanjay Enami (family and friends call me Jay). "

Julie folded the note, putting it back in the the envelope.

Sitting down on the 41 in, x 75 in high 17.25 wide, 20 in, deep, black, wrought iron 360 degree swivel, adjustable stool, with straight legs, that curve slightly at the bottom; with a circular bar that goes around the legs, for a footrest; with an ornate lattice design; with a foam seat cushion, with wipe-able black vinyl upholstery she carefully opened the bag and took out the container. She found an order of galub jumun, handmade, generous size, round farmer's cheese dumplings, deep fried, flavored with rosewater; and in the container is a cup of warm simple syrup. With her right hand, Julie carefully takes the lid off of the syrup; she picks up one of the round dumplings, and dips it into the warm syrup, and takes a bite; and decides she likes it very much; and finishes the eating the round dumpling.

Julie licks a little of the simple sweet syrup from her fingers, which is slightly more sticky, because it's still warm. She turns around, and gets another paper napkin from the napkin holder on the counter, and wipes her fingers before she opens the other bag with the food. She opens the bag and takes out the paper cup with large iced tea in it, and puts the orange, 10 inch (25.4 cm) x 0.4 inch (1 cm) 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) D bendable, re-usable silicone drinking straw in the lid, and takes a little sip of the iced tea. She puts the iced tea on the counter. She opens the container with the chicken jelfrezi, releasing the aroma of cubed chicken, chopped bell peppers, and tomatoes in the air. The portions at the restaurant are always generous, so she picks up the serving spoon, and puts about half of it on her plate.

Julie picks up her fork, and starts to eat her dinner, making sure to get as much of the cubed chicken, bell peppers and tomatoes as she can in each bite; sipping her ice tea between bites. When she is done with her dinner, she closes the container tightly. She walks over to her refrigerator, opening the door on the right side; putting the container inside, and closing the door.

Julie picks up the phone, and calls Kennedy's, making sure to ask for the curry house again.

"Hello, this is the curry house. May I take your order?" asked the voice of a young man in his teens or twenties.

"Hello, this is Julie Justice. Is Jay there? May I speak to him?"

"Of course, Miss Justice. Was there a problem with your order?," the young man asked, a little worried.

"No, the food was fine. This is about the note," Julie replied.

"Ahhhh....Okay...the young man responded, "Let me get him." Excitedly, in a loud *whisper* that really was not a whisper at all, Julie heard the young man say, "Mister Jay!! Mister Jay!! It's Miss Julie Justice, wanting to talk to you."

An attractive man with very masculine feature; a strong jaw, brown eyes, and skin the color of cinnamon, and a full head of black hair, Sanjay Enami seemed taller than his 6 feet, and more imposing than his 150 pounds, as he quickly strode over to toward the young employee, holding the phone. "I'll take it in the office," he said. As he got close to the office, he stopped for a moment, and whispered to the young employee, "You didn't have to a announce it to the whole restaurant."

"Sorry, Mister Jay," the young man replied, a bit dejected.

"It's alright," Sanjay replied, with a little twinkle in his eye, and a slight smile, "Just try to remember that, in case she calls again, okay?"

"Okay, Mister Jay," the young man said with a nod and a smile, returning to his work.

Sanjay walks into the office, closing the door behind him. It was not a large office; he shared it with the co-owner, his partner that ran the pub. In the middle of the room is a commercial grade, high quality laminate, L-shaped 2 person work desk, with file cabinet drawers on each end; a reversible return that can be put on either side of the desk; underneath, in the middle of the desk, is a tray where the keyboard sits. Sanjay pulls an office chair with 4 wheels with black, wipeable faux leather, and sits down. He reaches over, picking up the phone receiver, and says, "Hello, Miss Julie. This is Jay."

"Hello, Jay. I'm glad to talk to you," Julie replied, with a smile.

Sanjay smiles a little, and asks, "Did you enjoy your dinner?"

"Yes, it very good," Julie replied, "Your food is always very good."

"I'm glad to hear that," Sanjay said, smiling again, "And, tell me, did you like your dessert?" he asked.

" I liked it very much; it was a sweet surprise," Julie replied.

"I'm glad to hear that," Sanjay smiled again, "Somehow, I thought you might," he said.

"Yes, but now I have a question," Julie replied.

"Alright, what is your question?" Sanjay asked.

"Well, it seems like you're asking me to go to this thing for Diwali? So, do you want me to go with you? Or meet you there? What can you tell me about it?," Julie asked, with genuine curiosity.

Sanjay glanced around the room office; everything was neat and tidy; but the creamy, off-white paint was looking a little dingy. He always hated having to re-paint; maybe he could just wash the walls a little.

"Well, to make it simple Diwali is one of the best-known stories of Rama and his wife, Sita."

"Alright, I'm listening," Julie said with a little smile.

"Well, in addition to his other admirable qualities, Rama was great warrior," Sanjay began.

"So your daughter sees you as her hero," Julie said.

"What makes you say that?," Sanjay asked, seeming genuinely surprised.

"Well, in your note, you said your daughter convinced you to be Rama," Julie said.

"Yes, my younger daughter, Damita, wanted me to be Rama," Sanjay said.

"Well, the way you describe Rama, he is clearly a hero. So your daughter sees you as her hero," Julie said.

"Perhaps. I really hadn't thought of it like that," Sanjay replied, sounding both very pleased, and a little embarrassed.

"Excuse me, but is Rama one of those blue guys?," Julie asked.

"Yes, Rama, Krishna, Vishnu, and Shiva are all blue. And all Hindu deities are all aspects of the God that created the Universe," Sanjay said.

"And that is why they are all blue. The blue represents the fabric of the Universe," Julie replied.

"Yes, exactly so," Sanjay replied. Clearly, he was enjoying this conversation.

"Please, continue with the story," Julie replied.

"Alright. Well, Rama had a very beautiful wife named Sita. But in their land, there was also a terrible demon-king named Ravana. He wanted to make Sita his wife, so one day, he kidnapped her, and took her away in his chariot. But Sita was clever, and she left a trail of her jewelry for Rama to follow. So, Rama followed the shining trail of jewelry, until he met the monkey-king, Hanuman. Rama told Hanuman what had happened, and Hanuman agreed to help him. Hanuman sent a message to all the monkeys of the world to help find Sita. After a very long search, Hanuman found Sita imprisoned on an island."

Julie couldn't resist adding,"Yes, I think the island is Sri Lanka."

Sanjay was pleased, and didn't mind the interruption. "Yes, that's correct. The demon-king Ravana had a fortress in Sri Lanka. Actually, I believe 'Sri' means 'resplendent' and 'Lanka' means 'island," he added.

"That's interesting. I didn't know that," Julie replied.

"Yes, it is. Well, anyway, the army of monkeys could not reach the island, so they began to build a bridge. Soon all the animals of the world, large and small, began to help. When the bridge was built, they all rushed across and had a great battle. When Rama killed Ravana with a magic arrow, everyone rejoiced. Rama and Sita began the long journey back to their land, and everyone lit oil lamps to guide them on their way, and welcome them back. Ever since then people light oil lamps on Diwali, to remind them that good triumphs over evil," Sanjay said concluding his story.

"So, in other words, Diwali is like Halloween," Julie said.

"Well, yes, people do eat sweets, and sometimes dress up in costumes; and find different ways to shine a light in the darkness. But Diwali is also considered the beginning of the New Year," Sanjay said.

"Because Hindus are one of the groups that use a lunar calendar," Julie replied.

"Yes, exactly so,"Sanjay replied. "So, do you think you'll be able to attend?," he asked.

"Well," Julie says, looking through her datebook, "That's a Saturday."

"Yes, it is, starting at noon, ending at eleven o'clock, pm" Sanjay replied.

"Well...I don't have anything else scheduled yet; and that is fairly early in the day...And hopefully, there won't be too many instances of people trying to cause any real trouble in the weeks leading up to Halloween. Anyone who has any kind of job in law enforcement is very busy as Halloween gets closer. But, I'm sure that you've dealt with that before at Kennedy's," Julie said.

"Well, luckily, I don't really have too much of a problem with that the curry house; but my partner in the pub gets people causing problems around Halloween, yeah," Sanjay said. "So you do think you can come?," Sanjay asked.

"Yes, I think I'll be able to come. So, should I meet you there? Or will we go there together?," Julie asked.

"Well, I can come and pick you up, if that makes it easier for you. After all, I know where you live," Sanjay said.

"Yes, that's true," Julie replied.

"Of course, that presents me with another problem, Julie said.

"Oh, really? What is that?," Sanjay asked, a little concerned now.

"Well, now I have to try to find a costume for Durga, the Hindu Goddess of Justice. That may be a bit difficult," Julie said, with a little chuckle.

"I'm sure it won't

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • I (Guest) invaderhorizongreen:
    I even have the site white listed, for a wild shot can any of you post a new question in the guessing game I had set up
    Quote Link
    I would like to see if that will get my email to ping
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
    I know that might just be a shot in the dark but why not try
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Sure why not?
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I hope you get it fixed Invader!!
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Dj Inn(Djinn) :
    Dj Inn(Djinn) has left the room.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Good Morning everybody. I hope you all have a wonderful day :)
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know a group of Jellyfish is called a Smack? -Nat Geo
    Quote Link
    Smack O’ jellies is now a term
    • Haha
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((OOC: So, I am still here (at least, while ACP is still a thing, then I have to tether my phone to my laptop, send it's internet to Ethernet to my router and setup my other laptop to access that... I managed it once totally by accident)... updating stuff I'm working on is not a fun process (if anyone checks my stories folder on my Google Drive) anymore... the laptop at my desk is old (Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz, 4 gigs RAM, Win7 Ultimate)... Chrome won't update, Drive won't work... I'm stuck using FreeFileSync to keep stuff up to datep things synced. I have plans of getting a job and having money to have something better (a doorstop is better)
    • Love
    Reactions: Julie Justice
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm sorry if any of my posts are/could be inflammatory or anything... some of them are stuff I've had in the pipeline for a while, and I messed with it enough to get it postable... that's why there are dates showing when I started working on stuff... I'm not, and never have been, trying to step on anyone's toes or say "this is how it should be"... I have no say here, not sure who does these days (like I posted... maybe this is a test to see if we devolve into chaos). Posts like Hierarchy were started long ago, and meant as a guideline and not because I'm the voice of Sauron.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I don't have the time to be here a whole lot, I don't have much beyond mom to help with my rent (and once I have a job, that'll take up more time, though I will keep working on stuff (both for here and not) as often as possible, and post when possible on here. I have a question that needs some clarification... being that we are supposed to get permission from the person if we use their character in an addition/story/post, how would that apply if the character is core to the universe (like Carmen... I can replace @Chase, maybe cobble someone into @Ivy's place... but, like @Carmen, being that she's a major character, as long as I don't have her acting or write a major part for her, would that circumvent the rule at all?
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm just curious... the absence of the major's leaves a gap that I'm not sure what to do with anything... we (the Left Behind) could do a story together (or some stories separate), and that'd be cool, but without being able to use any major's, I'm not sure where to take anything. And, yeah... you can probably guess what my typing is like here (or anyplace else)... I type here or in Word, I type something (or notepad), and 15-20+ seconds later it shows up, so I have to stay on top of my grammar and spelling. I have to keep on top of all that, because I'm working on the big Carmen story at the same time, so I can't slip off my game.))
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Julie Justice Julie Justice:
    @Jon Eckart Not exactly sure if I understand all your computer probs. I hope you get those resolved soon. Yes, I have many probs with my basic Google Chrome, too. I think it's fair to say we all have a love/hate relationship with technology. 😆 As far as your stories are concerned, you can use any cannon character you like, whether there is a person playing that role on here or not. Say the story is a fanfiction; and that the version of Chase, or Carmen (or whoever) from the computer games, gameshow (or whatever). We don't do Netflix Carmen, mostly because of the violence. And because it is fanfiction, you can also create other characters and situations to suit your story. Now, Chase, Carme, Ivy (or whoever) were here, of course, you would ask their permission; tell them your idea; and if they like it they might write it with you. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you for a friendship with someone on--and off-site, you might form a partnership with them, and write stories together (like Chase and Carmen; or Chase and Ivy; or Lucy and I) and then you will just put a statement saying that this story is a co-write with whoever. In fact, if you collaborate with this person a lot, people will just assume they have your permission; although you should always say it anyway, just as a common courtesy. In fact, ironically, the only people whose permission you must always ask to use their characters are "original" characters, who are creations of their individual writers (which most of us on here, are) specifically because we are not cannon. I hope that makes sense. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you want to write something, but don't have a lot of time, I would suggest posting a status; or replying to someone else's status. Or you could start a guessing game. Look under Forums/Guessing Games, and look at some things other people have done, to give you ideas. I hope that helps. 🙂
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know that the Mockingbird is the state bird of 5 states? Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas.
    Quote Link
    It seems the Mock-5 is unstoppable... Go Speed Go!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just heard on the news they're going to have to remove the Sakura trees in Washington because of damage to a sea wall. They have to build a sea wall and replant new trees.
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    They were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the cut down trees to propagate new ones
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
    Affirmative
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Quote Link