A Sweet Surprise

Best answers
Color #
White
( Writer's note: Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House, is a real place in San Francisco; I first learned of it on Feb. 20, when I had a cold, IRL, and decided to incorporate that into my writing here, and looked for a place that would deliver chicken soup, etc, to Julie's apartment in the Russian Hill neighborhood. All food items described are real and can be found on the restaurant's website, online. All characters mentioned are completely fictitious, for the purpose of this story.)

Thursday, August 1, 2019.

Standing alone in the cream-colored hallway of her apartment building, made brighter by the early evening sun, after a long day at work, always cautious, Julie glanced around, as she took her keychain out of her purse and unlocked the door. Opening the door, and glanced into her buttercream yellow kitchen; and satisfied that things seemed to as she had left them, she walked quickly through the door, closing it behind her. She wiped her feet on washable, black doormat on the kitchen floor. She walked across her black and white tile floor, in a classic checkerboard pattern, and went over to her white refrigerator with the French doors and took down a menu for Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House. She walled over the small wooden side-table, to the right side of the door, to the answering machine/cordless phone combo and picked up the phone, and made a call to the curry house.

The phone was answered on the second ring, by what sounded like a young man, in his teens or twenties. "Hello, this is the curry house. May I take your order?," has asked.

"Yes, this is Julie Justice, and I'd like an order of chicken jalfrezi and iced tea, delivered to Garden Vista Apartments, 2 B, Lombard Street."

"Yes, Miss Justice we know your address. It should be about 5 to 10 minutes."

"That's fine, thank you," Julie said, and hung up the phone. She glances at the menu again, and takes $13.95 out of her purse and puts it on the white faux marble counter, closest to the door.

She opens the door, leaving it slightly ajar, and walks through her kitchen into her baby blue bedroom, leaving the door open slightly, she walks over to the open bathroom door, and takes a long, kimono sleeve, lightweight, heather grey self-tie robe, from a hook on the inside of the bathroom door. She walks over to her leather office chair, and sits down, and unties, and takes off her shoes, and begins changing out of her uniform.

Just as she is about to put on the robe, she hears a knock at the door, and the voice of a young man announces, loudly,"Hello? !! Miss Justice? !! Order from Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House."

Julie says loudly,"You can pick up the money on the counter, and leave the food there, too. And close the door when you leave. Thanks."

"Okay, very good. Thanks for your order and enjoy your dinner," the young man replied, closing the door behind him.

"I'm sure I will, thanks," Julie yelled back. Tying the robe around her, she stepped into her washable grey velour slippers and walks into the kitchen.

She walks over to the kitchen door, and seeing that it was closed, she decides to lock it. She walks over the sink, and washes and dries her hands. She went over to the small white plastic dish drainer on the counter by the sink, and took out a small white plate, a serving spoon, and a fork and spoon, and puts them on the counter.

Julie walks over to the counter to check out the food, and sees 2 bags with a logo on the bag: the word "Kennedy's" in a Celtic-style font, in dark green letters; outlined in orange; in the middle of the vertical line of the "K" is a golden yellow braid design; a shamrock in the place of the apostrophe; under that, the words "Irish Pub" in a slightly smaller font, in orange letters; underneath that, a dark green "V" symbol that denotes a "vegan friendly" menu; next a to that, is a 🕉 and in a smaller font in red letters are the words "Indian Cuisine--Open Late."

"That's strange. Why is there another bag?" Julie asked aloud. A square white envelope with "Julie Justice" written in neat and masculine handwriting was stapled to the folded end of one of the bags. Very carefully, Julie opens the envelope and finds a note on folded piece of lined paper and a card. On the back of the card is typed: "Durga, an incarnation of the Mother Goddess of the Hindu religion has existed since before the Creation of the Universe. She is the Goddess of Justice. She maintains a peaceful demeanor as she fights evil wherever she finds it using the weapons of a warrior: the Conch Shell (the word "Om"-- the sound of the name of God) the Bow and Arrow (Energy) the Lotus Flower (future success) Chakra (Control over the Universe) the Sword (Knowledge, free from all doubts) and the Trident (Swata-Inactivity, Rajas--Activity and Tumas--Non Activity) representing physical and spiritual miseries. She is often depicted with a Lion, which represents the assurance of freedom from fear. Durga is still worshiped today throughout India and Asia."
10154387_290494424438465_8166952729711267234_n.jpg

After reading the card, Julie puts it aside and opens the folded note, and reads it:
"Hello Julie,

I thought you might call tonight after a long day at work. I know that today is your birthday, and I thought you might enjoy a sweet treat after dinner, so I'm sending you some galub jamun. I'm the co-owner and in charge of the Indian menu here at the restaurant, and I hope you like it. Please call and let me know if you like it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jon Eckart : Jon Eckart sets a cake on the table