A Sweet Surprise

Best answers
Color #
White
( Writer's note: Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House, is a real place in San Francisco; I first learned of it on Feb. 20, when I had a cold, IRL, and decided to incorporate that into my writing here, and looked for a place that would deliver chicken soup, etc, to Julie's apartment in the Russian Hill neighborhood. All food items described are real and can be found on the restaurant's website, online. All characters mentioned are completely fictitious, for the purpose of this story.)

Thursday, August 1, 2019.

Standing alone in the cream-colored hallway of her apartment building, made brighter by the early evening sun, after a long day at work, always cautious, Julie glanced around, as she took her keychain out of her purse and unlocked the door. Opening the door, and glanced into her buttercream yellow kitchen; and satisfied that things seemed to as she had left them, she walked quickly through the door, closing it behind her. She wiped her feet on washable, black doormat on the kitchen floor. She walked across her black and white tile floor, in a classic checkerboard pattern, and went over to her white refrigerator with the French doors and took down a menu for Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House. She walled over the small wooden side-table, to the right side of the door, to the answering machine/cordless phone combo and picked up the phone, and made a call to the curry house.

The phone was answered on the second ring, by what sounded like a young man, in his teens or twenties. "Hello, this is the curry house. May I take your order?," he asked.

"Yes, this is Julie Justice, and I'd like an order of chicken jalfrezi and iced tea, delivered to Garden Vista Apartments, 2 B, Lombard Street."

"Yes, Miss Justice we know your address. It should be about 5 to 10 minutes."

"That's fine, thank you," Julie said, and hung up the phone. She glances at the menu again, and takes $13.95 out of her purse and puts it on the white faux marble counter, closest to the door.

She opens the door, leaving it slightly ajar, and walks through her kitchen into her baby blue bedroom, leaving the door open slightly, she walks over to the open bathroom door, and takes a long, kimono sleeve, lightweight, heather grey self-tie robe, from a hook on the inside of the bathroom door. She walks over to her leather office chair, and sits down, and unties, and takes off her shoes, and begins changing out of her uniform.

Just as she is about to put on the robe, she hears a knock at the door, and the voice of a young man announces, loudly,"Hello? !! Miss Justice? !! Order from Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House."

Julie says loudly,"You can pick up the money on the counter, and leave the food there, too. And close the door when you leave. Thanks."

"Okay, very good. Thanks for your order and enjoy your dinner," the young man replied, closing the door behind him.

"I'm sure I will, thanks," Julie yelled back. Tying the robe around her, she stepped into her washable grey velour slippers and walks into the kitchen.

She walks over to the kitchen door, and seeing that it was closed, she decides to lock it. She walks over the sink, and washes and dries her hands. She goes over to the small white plastic dish drainer on the counter by the sink, and takes out a small white plate, and a serving spoon. She takes a few steps over to the black, 5.5 in. x 2 in x 4. 75 in. cast iron, vertical half-oval, ornate lattice pattern napkin-holder, and takes out a white paper napkin, and puts it on the counter. She gets a clean fork out of the compartment on the front of the dish drainer, and puts it on the paper napkin.

Julie walks over to the counter to check out the food, and sees 2 bags with a logo on the bag: the word "Kennedy's" in a Celtic-style font, in dark green letters; outlined in orange; in the middle of the vertical line of the "K" is a golden yellow braid design; a shamrock in the place of the apostrophe; under that, the words "Irish Pub" in a slightly smaller font, in orange letters; underneath that, a dark green "V" symbol that denotes a "vegan friendly" menu; next a to that, is a 🕉 and in a smaller font in red letters are the words "Indian Cuisine--Open Late."

"That's strange. Why is there another bag?" Julie asked aloud. A square white envelope with "Julie Justice" written in neat and masculine handwriting was stapled to the folded end of one of the bags. Very carefully, Julie opens the envelope and finds a note on folded piece of lined paper and a card. On the back of the card is typed: "Durga, an incarnation of the Mother Goddess of the Hindu religion has existed since before the Creation of the Universe. She is the Goddess of Justice. She maintains a peaceful demeanor protecting the innocent, fighting evil wherever she finds it using the weapons of a warrior: the Conch Shell (the word "Om"-- the sound of the name of God) the Bow and Arrow (Energy) the Lotus Flower (future success) Chakra (Control over the Universe) the Sword (Knowledge, free from all doubts) and the Trident (Swata-Inactivity, Rajas--Activity and Tumas--Non Activity) representing physical and spiritual miseries. She is often depicted with a Lion, which represents the assurance of freedom from fear. Durga is still worshiped today throughout India and Asia."
10154387_290494424438465_8166952729711267234_n.jpg

After reading the card, Julie puts it aside and opens the folded note, and reads it:
"Hello Julie,

I thought you might call tonight after a long day at work. I know that today is your birthday, and I thought you might enjoy a sweet treat after dinner, so I'm sending you some galub jamun. I'm the co-owner and in charge of the Indian menu here at the restaurant.

I am planning on attending a free, family-friendly Diwali event with my daughters and a few other relatives Diwali event at the Santa Clara Fairgrounds 344 Tully Rd, in San Jose on Oct. 19, from noon-11:00 pm. In addition to food, games, and rides, etc. there is also a fancy dress competition, meaning that sometimes people dress in costumes, too, and my youngest daughter has convinced me to go as Lord Rama. Everyone is welcome, and if you are not too busy, it would be fun to see Justice there, too.

Please call the restaurant, after you finish your food, to tell me if you liked it, and so that me may talk.

Sincerely,

Sanjay Enami (family and friends call me Jay). "

Julie folded the note, putting it back in the the envelope.

Sitting down on the 41 in, x 75 in high 17.25 wide, 20 in, deep, black, wrought iron 360 degree swivel, adjustable stool, with straight legs, that curve slightly at the bottom; with a circular bar that goes around the legs, for a footrest; with an ornate lattice design; with a foam seat cushion, with wipe-able black vinyl upholstery she carefully opened the bag and took out the container. She found an order of galub jumun, handmade, generous size, round farmer's cheese dumplings, deep fried, flavored with rosewater; and in the container is a cup of warm simple syrup. Julie takes the lid off of the syrup; she picks up one of the round dumplings, and dips it into the warm syrup, and takes a bite; and decides she likes it very much.

Julie licks a little of the simple sweet syrup from her fingers, which is slightly more sticky, because it's still warm. She turns around, and gets another paper napkin from the napkin holder on the counter, and wipes her fingers before she opens the other bag with the food. She opens the bag and takes out the paper cup with large iced tea in it, and puts the orange, 10 inch (25.4 cm) x 0.4 inch (1 cm) 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) D bendable, re-usable silicone drinking straw in the lid, and takes a little sip of the iced tea. She puts the iced tea on the counter and opens up the other bag. She takes out the container with the entree, and opens it. She stands up, for a moment, taking a few steps, and picks up the serving spoon. She dishes up

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Be careful, tetanus *takes rusty nail and gives Charlet shiny brand new nail*
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    Why do I need a nail? Also anyone can patch my hood up?
    Quote Link
    *sprays liquid patch on ripped area*
    Quote Link
    well In the world of inventors nails are very useful
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    I could break a security cam with it
    Quote Link
    Carmen would be proud you thought of that I want you to think outside the box and see things from different angles
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    I want a sling shot so I can take out cams with small rocks
    Quote Link
    That’s not practical. Now bubblegum wrappers to disable laser alarms and bamboo darts to disable lights is more feasible
    Quote Link
    With training to increase your throwing strength for the darts that is
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    I don’t chew bubblegum tho
    Quote Link
    Did you try Glee Gum the official gum of Rapture?
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    Nope. Do I look like a little sister to you?
    Quote Link
    Weeeeeeeeelllllll......... no
    Quote Link
    I guess their dress colors range from the blue to purple range.
    Quote Link
    but the gum is actually gum. like in Japan we still have real gum in america the famous gums are not real gum
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    What’s real gun?
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    Fun
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    gum
    Quote Link
    Well a gun is a mechanism for shooting bullets that are chemically propelled using gunpowder by means of an explosion that accelerates a projectile usually a bullet from the barrel.
    Quote Link
    Fun is what you do to enjoy yourself do in a sense work can be fun if it brings joy and happiness to you.
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    Stupid weird talking disorder thingy of mine
    Quote Link
    gum that is, real gum is basically the same as the fake stuff but it’s made using the natural ingredients instead of chemically processed crap so you know it when you chew it. and it has the actual taste of gum which is better than the fake stuff but some people like the taste of fake gum to natural gum I guess.
    Quote Link
    It’s okay to be as a six year old sometimes ferret
    Quote Link
  • Charlet Charlet:
    But I’m not that young
    Quote Link
  • Quote Link
    Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki: I know