Educational?

systemcat

Visitor From Another AU
Best answers
So my work is alone on the comic format front. Does anyone else keep the educational aspect live in their fan fiction?

I'm making sure to include it in the current story and even throw in the use of multiple languages.

Lucy

ACME
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Alice, Luce
yes we do. There is a story of Carmen giving Julie clues to find of her favorite places and in the end they have lunch or something. It was Julie's birthday. I've seen other examples too!

systemcat

Visitor From Another AU
Best answers
Nice, how hard was the research to come up with heists & related clues to them? I have a wealth of notes & outlining over it for plot line B.

Lucy

ACME
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Alice, Luce
oh, right. Julie was the author so I know that she does a lot of research before she writes a story.

Claire Yeon

V.I.L.E.
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Color #
I like an educational aspect, and not just because it's so deeply ingrained into the Carmen Sandiego brand. How it manifests into the work varies between the creator, the story, and the target audience. For me, writing is a chance to escape from the mundane routine of real life and learn about things that interest me in a way that I find entertaining (and, occasionally, can entertain others). Example: my character here is an art historian, married to an archaeologist. My formal education in those fields consists of exactly one introductory class in Mesoamerican art history that I took to fulfill a liberal studies requirement in college. But you know what? It was super cool, and I've always wanted to learn more. I've been working on an origin story for Claire, set when she meets her husband and shortly before she joins VILE, and one of the chapters is basically a history lesson on the fall of the Aztec empire. I spent a wonderful afternoon surrounded by books and maps at the library while writing it. I'm not as on-the-nose with my educational components as the games or TV shows, but I like to work in something, and I'll find a way to make it relevant.

Last edited:

Tenchi Masaki

ACME Ace Detective, Inventor
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Tenko(don't ask), Kami Jack, Guy Smart, Tenten
Color #
I couldn’t agree more @Claire Yeon! I love the educational part(and random wandering). I loved when the cartoon asked educational questions before they went to commercial break(mostly because I’m a Dork:D); And appreciated the fact that @Carmen Sandiego was teaching me things without being boring... That being said I’ll still have to arrest her for running scams in Scandinavia, Sticking em’ up down under, and most shockingly; pick pocketing Perth.

systemcat

Visitor From Another AU
Best answers
I like an educational aspect, and not just because it's so deeply ingrained into the Carmen Sandiego brand. How it manifests into the work varies between the creator, the story, and the target audience. For me, writing is a chance to escape from the mundane routine of real life and learn about things that interest me in a way that I find entertaining (and, occasionally, can entertain others). Example: my character here is an art historian, married to an archaeologist. My formal education in those fields consists of exactly one introductory class in Mesoamerican art history that I took to fulfill a liberal studies requirement in college. But you know what? It was super cool, and I've always wanted to learn more. I've been working on an origin story for Claire, set when she meets her husband and shortly before she joins VILE, and one of the chapters is basically a history lesson on the fall of the Aztec empire. I spent a wonderful afternoon surrounded by books and maps at the library while writing it. I'm not as on-the-nose with my educational components as the games or TV shows, but I like to work in something, and I'll find a way to make it relevant.
Will that story be here or else where?

Outside incorporating the CS fandom into my work this has felt like a long time in coming. Ever since even before writing the first story of the series, research for using real facts was put in earlier works. The last major story sort of drove it home to me I should be sharing that research. Bring up a 19th century novel most have never heard of and see the reaction of discovery that brings to readers. It happened.
But for this current story, far too much research happened for the real facts to get buried into the background like they don't have relevance. I even wrote into the comic's script the character goes into "educational mode" which to me is creatively presenting facts without seeming like a museum's enlightening page over an exhibit piece or Wiki page.

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Affirmative
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just found a wolf spider in my house. :D
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    one of the GOOD spiders you want around because they eat all the really bad bugs in the house. We put them outside :)
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know there are over 400 species of parrots in the world??
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know David Attenborough was knighted twice? First in 1985, and again in 2002
    • Wow
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Jade and Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    @Lucy ... don't know if you really want wolf spiders in your home... I'd go for jumping spiders, they can't bite... wolf spiders are the fast movers, and they can bite.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    And, jumpers are cute
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((Will lose my ACP internet towards the end of the month, unless anyone knows about it ending sooner. Trying to switch my Lifeline phone to a better provider that doesn't shut me off after four and a half gigs of data, nothing but failure so far and "call here" and "it's on their end" and the back and forth crap... in the morning, it's time to demand the supervisor and might even get to harsh language (after three days of that). I plan to use the Lifeline phone tethered as Internet source, share that to my own router... I've done it before (it's messy, and not 100% effective, but it works). ))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((The 'net is the main way to apply for jobs now, so I need that, and I've moved/changed Lifeline providers before without an issue, so no idea what the problem is. I have active Verizon through ACP, active Lifeline through Airtalk... is that somehow the issue? If anyone knows, please let me know before I tear someone a new one (ya know what I mean). After three days of this, and two days about a month ago, I'm ready to walk there with katana in hand.))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the phone I have (Samsung Galaxy S9... gotten for free through Airtalk... note to anyone: if you choose a nice phone through them, you are locked into a 120 day "commitment" to get the phone for free, and they have a very hard data limit... once you use up your data, they cut you off, point blank.))
    Quote Link
    Jon Eckart Jon Eckart: ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the...