Memorial Day

Best answers
Color #
White
"For Mon. May 26, 2014: I'm sleeping in my Campaign Style Daybed (from Charles P. Rogers) wearing my Red Hanes Wear Around Sleep Shirt, when my Small Square Sterling & Noble Analog Alarm Clock goes off at 8:00 a.m. I reach over to my Renaissance 28 inch Nightstand (Cherry with warm cognac finish - JC Penny - Home) and turn off the alarm clock.

After quickly visiting the bathroom I go into my kitchen area, and pop a K-Cup Original Medium Roast into my Keurig K-130 Brewing System, and since it is a warm sunny day, with a temperature of 65 degrees F, with humidity of 68%, I decide to make it an ice coffee. I add my Bailey's French Vanilla Coffee Creamer. I get out a plate and some silverware. I use my last 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bread to make myself some poached eggs and toast, and also make a little bacon. I sit down at my cute little Willow 3 piece Dinette set (on table and 2 chairs, JC Penny-Home) and look at my Daisy, Ranunculus, Petunia, and Hydrangea Bouquet in Yellow, Orange, Green Blue and Purple with Assorted Greenery (AFloral Artificial Flowers) that I put in my Small Round Wicker Storage Basket (The Basket Lady) and enjoy my breakfast.

After my breakfast, I take a shower and get dressed. I put on my uniform. A Ladies Polo shirt, white with short sleeves, 100% polyester pique knit, 5 button placket, with the ACME logo at the taped neckline, anti-bacterial treatment, to fight odors, tan pull on Bermuda-style shorts, elastic waistband, with the ACME logo at the 2 hand-slit pockets. I put on my honey (light tan) ACME tumbled leather shoes with upper perforations for venelation with smooth leather lining for all day wear. Because the UV index I also put on my SPF 30 Hawaiian Tropic Island Sport Clear Spray. I put on my Taupe Small Men's Water Resistant Hiking Fedora Hat (The Berkley Hat Company). I pick up my purse, and make sure all my necessary items are in there.

I close the door to my office, making sure to lock it behind me as I leave. I borrow an ACME police. I head to the Memorial Day Ceremony at the National Cemetery here in San Francisco. Luckily, thee is plenty of parking. I arrive just before the parade starts at 10:30 a.m. It begins at the Main Post between Sheridan and Lincoln Blvd, and ends at the National Cemetery. The parade begins at it usually does, the 191st Army Band, followed by different veteran's organizations, and distinguished guests. The formal program starts at 11:00 a.m. The focus of this year's ceremony are the Vietnam veterans. There are plenty of places to sit and listen to the speeches given by local politicians and veterans, and some people walk around and look at all the cool classic cars, too. The official program ends at noon, with a 21-salute which is always given by the U.S. Army's 75th Pacific Division.

As I walk towards the Presidio Chapel, a veteran sees me in my ACME uniform. He says to me,""Oh you're an ACME Detective? Then you ""serve and protect"" too. It's good to see you here.""

I smile and say,""Thank you very much sir. But at ACME, we are very fortunate. The only weapon we need to use to catch the criminals that we chase is our intelligence. And the people that we chase never try to hurt us. But you have risked your life to protect our country and defend our freedoms.""

I salute the man, and I continue to walk to the Presidio Chapel.The charming building sits on a forested hillside, is flanked by the Veterans Cemetery, and a colorful garden. The Spanish built the first Presidio Chapel in 1776, on land once held sacred to the Ohlone Indian tribe. When the Mexican government claimed the land, they built their own chapel. Then in 1864, the land became American property, and the United States 6th Army built its own chapel. Today, The Chapel serves all religions, and there is no religious symbol, except for an eternal light.
There are many plaques honoring fallen Americans in the military. For each war since World War II, The Chapel has set aside a place to honor the fallen. The Chapel was the first base to honor those involved in the Vietnam War.

I walk inside, and located on the wall of a reception area, adjacent to the sanctuary is a mural. I ask the attendant to tell me more about it. He says,""It was commissioned in in 1935, by President Franklin Roosevelt, as part of his Work Progress Administration. It is 13 ft. x 34 feet. It was painted by artist Victor Arnautoff, and called ""Peacetime Activities of the Army."" The central panel depicts St. Francis surrounded by trees. On the left side is the history of California. On the right is the Army today, involved in the development of science and the radio, and Army engineers, examining the project of the Golden Gate Bridge, and approving its construction.""

As I walk around the sanctuary, I'm told about the 11 stained glass symbol highlights that were created by Willimena Ogetrop, who was the first female artist accepted in a stained glass union on the West Coast. Each piece honors a virtue of military character. Another stained glass artist with a fascinating story is U.S. Army Chaplain Patrick Alexander McDonald. In 1944-45, he had visited sanctuaries that had been destroyed in World War II. He picked up shards of glass from churches and synagogues all around Europe. He was an expert in stained glass, but wasn't sure what to do with a the broken pieces. McDonald and his family, and fellow artist
Arnel Le Roux decided to create 25 new stained glass panels for the planned new chapel addition. But McDonald died shortly after the first few panels were completed.

I thank the attendant for all the things he has told me. He reminds me that the address of the The Chapel is The Presidio Chapel at 130 Fisher Loop in the Presido, and the phone number is: 415-561-3930, to set up a tour. I think him again, and sit down in a pew, thinking about everything I've seen and heard today, and whisper a brief prayer of of thanks. The attendant tells me it's 2:00 p.m. so, I get up to leave The Chapel knowing, that it closes at 2:30 p.m.

I go back to my ACME police car. I get inside, and drive to the nearby Transit Cafe in the Presidio, and have a grilled porckchop dinner, with white beans, rice, and, of course..more coffee!! I go back to my office. Of course, there are a lot of different chores that I need to do. But even though I'm not a native San Franciscan, on a day like today, I'm so proud to be back here, at the original Headquarters of the ACME Detective Agency. I am truly thankful for all of my blessings. :) "

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Affirmative
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just found a wolf spider in my house. :D
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    one of the GOOD spiders you want around because they eat all the really bad bugs in the house. We put them outside :)
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know there are over 400 species of parrots in the world??
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know David Attenborough was knighted twice? First in 1985, and again in 2002
    • Wow
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Jade and Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    @Lucy ... don't know if you really want wolf spiders in your home... I'd go for jumping spiders, they can't bite... wolf spiders are the fast movers, and they can bite.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    And, jumpers are cute
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((Will lose my ACP internet towards the end of the month, unless anyone knows about it ending sooner. Trying to switch my Lifeline phone to a better provider that doesn't shut me off after four and a half gigs of data, nothing but failure so far and "call here" and "it's on their end" and the back and forth crap... in the morning, it's time to demand the supervisor and might even get to harsh language (after three days of that). I plan to use the Lifeline phone tethered as Internet source, share that to my own router... I've done it before (it's messy, and not 100% effective, but it works). ))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((The 'net is the main way to apply for jobs now, so I need that, and I've moved/changed Lifeline providers before without an issue, so no idea what the problem is. I have active Verizon through ACP, active Lifeline through Airtalk... is that somehow the issue? If anyone knows, please let me know before I tear someone a new one (ya know what I mean). After three days of this, and two days about a month ago, I'm ready to walk there with katana in hand.))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the phone I have (Samsung Galaxy S9... gotten for free through Airtalk... note to anyone: if you choose a nice phone through them, you are locked into a 120 day "commitment" to get the phone for free, and they have a very hard data limit... once you use up your data, they cut you off, point blank.))
    Quote Link
    Jon Eckart Jon Eckart: ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the...