Co-Written Epilogue to "A Different Time"

Bran

ACME
Best answers
(Written with Chase).

A black cadillac sedan turned onto a road which wound up a lonely hill speckled with rocks and grass. The engulfing fog smothered the sound of the ties as they rolled along the damp pavement. On a clear day, the great city of San Francisco could be seen sprawling like an ocean into the distance, but the visibility was less than a mile on this particular morning.

An occasional drop of rain splattered onto the window of the sedan as it reached the crest of the hill where it came to a halt. After a few minutes, a man clad in a dark grey overcoat emerged from the car. He was tall and a dark cloud over his face indicated that he hadn't slept for days. He stood still for a few seconds and studied his surroundings. Some cars were parked along the roadway; apparently they belonged to tourists who had come to enjoy the vista. The man then walked across the road to where a railing was placed to ensure no one tumbled down the cliff that formed the side of the hill facing the city. Grabbing it with both hands, he peered down the steep slope. It was covered with dagger shaped rocks in between which patches of grass disguised the danger below. The man froze in that position; his face grim and his mind contemplating something. A few silent minutes passed before he finally left the railing, slowly walking towards the very top of the hill.

Not long ago, Chase Devineaux received a call from one of his former recruiters. A possible ally, selected nearly 7 years ago, has finally decided to join the agency. After reviewing this man's file and deciding that recent events meant ACME needed more hands, the Field Director of Special Operations came to see Bran Brychanson for himself.

Devineaux, in a heavy calfskin coat stood contemplating at the hilltop. He liked the rain, he didn't so much enjoy the wait, but rain calmed him. To pass time, he studied the hazed cityscape and imagined the kind of people that lived here. Hearing footsteps, Chase turned, and gauged the approaching figure systematically. The man looked like he came from wealth, but he hasn't been well. His hair indicated a lack of sleep, lack of self worth, or maybe both. Each step he mustered looked forced in a pair of worn leather loafers.

The Director second guessed the recruiter's recommendation and almost walked away, when he noted a sense of determination on the man's brows.

Bran reached the top of the hill and surveyed the small group of people. There were a few couples and one family, but a man, standing near the edge of the hill, immediately caught his attention. Chase Devineaux. The Field Director's willingness to meet surprised Bran. Bran's request, wishing to accept a seven year old offer presented by a now retired agent, had certainly been a unique one. But his appeal had been answered, and the Field Director had agreed to this meeting. Still, Bran wondered whether Devineaux understood who he really was or what his past contained.

Casting these questions from his mind, he strode over to where the Field Director stood. "Mr. Devineaux". He extended his hand in greeting. "Thank you for taking the time to see me".

With confidence, Chase took the man's offered hand with a smile, "Chase," he prompted to create a more informal air, "It's my pleasure, I've heard a decent amount about you."

Devineaux's handshake was strong and firm. It conveyed a sense of power and leadership.

Straightening, Bran gazed out into the mist for a quick moment before turning his attention back to the other man."Then, of course, you know where I've been and where I hope to find myself. Please call me Bran".

"Our mutual friend tells me you're interested in helping us," Devineaux referred to the retired Michael Feller.

"I do wish to join you, if you'll have me. My past is checkered, to say the least. When Feller offered me a chance, I soundly rejected it. I left this world to find solace deep within my own thoughts. I did not leave the grounds of Min y Coed for seven years after that day". A slight, haggard smile came to Bran's face. "But hiding from oneself is never a sound strategy. I wish to do good for the world, but this time I will do it the right way".

Listening to Bran and the way he moved when he spoke gave Chase insight into this man's intentions. Like the slight smile that came to his face, something was inside him waiting to be accepted, or maybe; forgiven. People usually gravitated to ACME because it was, in its own way, a group of vigilantes. Unregulated by a government, the agency established a good standing worldwide that it was a new, uncorrupted standard in law enforcement. Ironically, its popularity rose along with the notoriety of a certain international thief.

In Brychanson's case, the idea of ACME was granted a while ago by an insightful recruiter. It looked, to the Field Director, that Bran might have spent the past several years preparing himself for this.

In reply, Chase nodded, agreeing with Bran's statement on wanting to do good for the world 'the right way', "Michael also said you were an inventor?"

Reaching into his overcoat, Bran pulled out a small box. "I didn't entirely waste my time those seven years." He handed the box to Chase. "You might find this useful someday. It's just an example of my work. A glimpse of what could be".

Two rings were in the box along with handwritten notes on their functions. They looked like prototypes, almost directly out of science fiction.

Bran watched Chase closely as he opened the box. "You place the black one on your ring finger and the silver one on your thumb. The science behind this is all very complex and ambiguous, but, to force twenty pages of notes into a few sentences, the molecules in the rings interact with molecules in your hand and the muscles in your forearm creating a localized energy field akin to a magnetic field. This energy field attracts any type of object to your hand, and the field's focus is fine enough, within eight meters, to allow the wearer to control what is attracted. Open your hand to initiate the energy field; close your hand to terminate it. The attraction is also powerful enough to allow the wearer to scale objects, such as buildings and cliffs". Bran smiled slightly as Chase picked up the rings. "It has many uses. And, in the future, I hope to expand on its capabilities".

Chase placed the rings as instructed on his fourth finger and thumb. They didn't quite fit, but he felt a slight vibration signalling that they were ready for operation. Looking for a small object, he picked a nearby stone and opened his palms to 'pull it' towards him. The stone moved with little protest, and as it gained momentum, ACME's Field Director closed his hand into a fist. The stone, still affected by the energy field, flew to Devineaux's right and ended its arc near his foot.

The American chuckled, as he often did when he was impressed, "That's... something," he commented as he twisted the rings off and placed them back into the box.

"You'd be an invaluable consultant for ACME labs in San Francisco," Chase knew where to place people, and a consulting position was suitable for a man who would need to come and go as he pleased, "How soon can you start?"

The corners of Bran's lips raised in a pleased smile as he viewed the Field Director's reaction. "I would be honored to begin as soon as possible".

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • I (Guest) invaderhorizongreen:
    I even have the site white listed, for a wild shot can any of you post a new question in the guessing game I had set up
    Quote Link
    I would like to see if that will get my email to ping
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
    I know that might just be a shot in the dark but why not try
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Sure why not?
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I hope you get it fixed Invader!!
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Dj Inn(Djinn) :
    Dj Inn(Djinn) has left the room.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Good Morning everybody. I hope you all have a wonderful day :)
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know a group of Jellyfish is called a Smack? -Nat Geo
    Quote Link
    Smack O’ jellies is now a term
    • Haha
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((OOC: So, I am still here (at least, while ACP is still a thing, then I have to tether my phone to my laptop, send it's internet to Ethernet to my router and setup my other laptop to access that... I managed it once totally by accident)... updating stuff I'm working on is not a fun process (if anyone checks my stories folder on my Google Drive) anymore... the laptop at my desk is old (Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz, 4 gigs RAM, Win7 Ultimate)... Chrome won't update, Drive won't work... I'm stuck using FreeFileSync to keep stuff up to datep things synced. I have plans of getting a job and having money to have something better (a doorstop is better)
    • Love
    Reactions: Julie Justice
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm sorry if any of my posts are/could be inflammatory or anything... some of them are stuff I've had in the pipeline for a while, and I messed with it enough to get it postable... that's why there are dates showing when I started working on stuff... I'm not, and never have been, trying to step on anyone's toes or say "this is how it should be"... I have no say here, not sure who does these days (like I posted... maybe this is a test to see if we devolve into chaos). Posts like Hierarchy were started long ago, and meant as a guideline and not because I'm the voice of Sauron.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I don't have the time to be here a whole lot, I don't have much beyond mom to help with my rent (and once I have a job, that'll take up more time, though I will keep working on stuff (both for here and not) as often as possible, and post when possible on here. I have a question that needs some clarification... being that we are supposed to get permission from the person if we use their character in an addition/story/post, how would that apply if the character is core to the universe (like Carmen... I can replace @Chase, maybe cobble someone into @Ivy's place... but, like @Carmen, being that she's a major character, as long as I don't have her acting or write a major part for her, would that circumvent the rule at all?
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm just curious... the absence of the major's leaves a gap that I'm not sure what to do with anything... we (the Left Behind) could do a story together (or some stories separate), and that'd be cool, but without being able to use any major's, I'm not sure where to take anything. And, yeah... you can probably guess what my typing is like here (or anyplace else)... I type here or in Word, I type something (or notepad), and 15-20+ seconds later it shows up, so I have to stay on top of my grammar and spelling. I have to keep on top of all that, because I'm working on the big Carmen story at the same time, so I can't slip off my game.))
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Julie Justice Julie Justice:
    @Jon Eckart Not exactly sure if I understand all your computer probs. I hope you get those resolved soon. Yes, I have many probs with my basic Google Chrome, too. I think it's fair to say we all have a love/hate relationship with technology. 😆 As far as your stories are concerned, you can use any cannon character you like, whether there is a person playing that role on here or not. Say the story is a fanfiction; and that the version of Chase, or Carmen (or whoever) from the computer games, gameshow (or whatever). We don't do Netflix Carmen, mostly because of the violence. And because it is fanfiction, you can also create other characters and situations to suit your story. Now, Chase, Carme, Ivy (or whoever) were here, of course, you would ask their permission; tell them your idea; and if they like it they might write it with you. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you for a friendship with someone on--and off-site, you might form a partnership with them, and write stories together (like Chase and Carmen; or Chase and Ivy; or Lucy and I) and then you will just put a statement saying that this story is a co-write with whoever. In fact, if you collaborate with this person a lot, people will just assume they have your permission; although you should always say it anyway, just as a common courtesy. In fact, ironically, the only people whose permission you must always ask to use their characters are "original" characters, who are creations of their individual writers (which most of us on here, are) specifically because we are not cannon. I hope that makes sense. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you want to write something, but don't have a lot of time, I would suggest posting a status; or replying to someone else's status. Or you could start a guessing game. Look under Forums/Guessing Games, and look at some things other people have done, to give you ideas. I hope that helps. 🙂
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know that the Mockingbird is the state bird of 5 states? Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas.
    Quote Link
    It seems the Mock-5 is unstoppable... Go Speed Go!
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just heard on the news they're going to have to remove the Sakura trees in Washington because of damage to a sea wall. They have to build a sea wall and replant new trees.
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    They were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the cut down trees to propagate new ones
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
    Affirmative
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Quote Link
    Laverna Laverna: I’m staying inside