Sophie

Medical Staff
Best answers
Color #
C8A2C8
December 15th, 2008
Metropolitan Pavilion, NYC
Charity: Ball 2008 for Charity: Water

For an event that boasted national media coverage, the attendance of selected celebrities, and the patronage of some of New York’s finest, the 2008 Charity: Ball was trying very hard to disguise itself as a mere gallery showcase – except that instead of artistic endeavours, the images lining the parallel walls of the South Pavilion depicted, without equivocation, the realities of humanity’s reliance on water.

Having only just detached herself from the party she had been in the company of, Sophie Conrad strolled along a wall of LED televisions, absently moving a suede clutch between the grasp of both her hands. The pointed heels of her black pumps were quiet against the polished parquet floor, all but drowned out by the noise around her. Alongside her, the images of impoverished men and women, the fact and figures about the earth and its water, and the evidence reinforcing how every dollar donated to the cause of Charity: Water could change the lives of the people whose faces were flashing across the screens drifted past.

While the bright lights of the Big Apple attracted 50 million visitors every year, it failed to entice her; for despite the undeniable allure the city possessed in its finer moments, she found it an insolent, almost-vulgar egomaniac in its constant high-speed hurtle towards trumpeted eminence. And although her vicious assessment of New York City amused her, she conceded that it was undoubtedly brought about and intensified by the eagerness she had for the next morning when a short flight would deliver her back to the comforting familiarity of Boston and the quiet of her Beacon Hill apartment.

So it was, that when a voice spoke up behind her to interrupt her thoughtful dalliance, she found herself surprised.

“Water, water everywhere, and they only seem to serve wine.”

Turning with a questioning brow already raised, she met the gaze of the man who had approached. Good-looking, his hair was russet-coloured under the warm spotlights, his voice was level and friendly, and his lighthearted grin smile-eliciting. Taking a moment to deliberate his appearance and the glass of wine in his hand, she was inordinately serious when she replied, with a slight nod of her head at his drink:

“It takes a hundred and twenty litres of water to make a single glass of wine.”

The statement hung between her and the stranger for a moment. And then, realising the censure that could be read in her words and eager to dispel the hint of mortification she sensed from the man, she relented. Her solemnity fell away and ease and warmth took their place with a smile.

“Good evening,” she said in a brighter tone, as she extended a hand, “My name is Sophie Conrad.”

“Chase Devineaux.” The introduction was returned smoothly as they shook hands. If he had taken offence, nothing was betrayed. “I’m with the, uh…”

She tilted her head and considered him carefully as he hesitated and sipped from the glass of wine in his hand.

“The third secretary of cultural affairs. I came with that group,” he concluded.

She nodded politely, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Devineaux.” She found herself passingly wondering about his genealogy.

“Are you enjoying the gallery?” he asked.

Instinctively, she turned her gaze towards the length of wall behind her. Though all she thought of Charity: Water and its annual Charity: Ball were certain to her, she took a minute to contemplate how she would respond to or convey her thoughts to this one Chase Devineaux.

“The exhibition is very effective,” she replied with decision, returning her attention to Chase and giving him an elfish smile, “And, dare I say, far more entertaining than a speech.”

“How about you?” she ventured, waving her hand out as a silent invitation for him to join her as she restarted her leisurely perusal along the length of the South Pavilion, putting some distance between them and a boisterous group that was slowly but surely moving nearer. “What do you make of all this?”

She glanced back at him. He looked deceptively relaxed with one of his hands in the pocket of his pants and the other casually holding his glass of wine. She remembered his comment about being a part of a party of others: “Are you not a patron of Charity: Water?”

The question must have amused him, somehow. He chuckled and shrugged and took another sip from his glass.

“I work with a law enforcement agency, ACME, in San Francisco,” he said. “We’re mostly… passive, when it comes to charity. You’ll have to forgive me if I sound ignorant.”

“ACME?” she stopped in mid-step and turned to acknowledge his words with a bemused frown: “You’re a detective?” It was almost a statement.

Chase hesitated, “No, not quite.” He appeared slightly surprised by her reaction. “I’m the Field Director. I take care of field agents.”

He retrieved a name card from his wallet and handed it to her, “You’re familiar with ACME?”

She looked at his card, murmuring a perfunctory, “I see,” before lifting her eyes towards him and shaking her head in response to his question. “I’m afraid that I only recognise the organisation’s name. Nothing more…”

She opened her clutch and tucked his card in.

“I work at the Massachusetts General Hospital, in Boston.”

Sophie handed one of her name cards to Chase. She did not bother to elaborate on what she did at the hospital, for it was all neatly printed onto the card. Instead, even as Chase scanned it, she regarded him with unhidden curiosity, formulating her own theories about him as - she was sure - he was doing about her. Field Director of ACME, indeed.

“Doctor of Medicine.”

After the pause that he took to contemplate her occupation, Chase raised his brows and pocketed the card. “You must be in high demand?”

Sophie smiled but remained silent. She had anticipated some comment on her profession – there always seemed to be – but to have someone actually read out her qualification was rather unexpected. Amusing, even. Nevertheless, the question Chase had posed was to her more rhetorical than one requiring an answer; to deny it would be lying and to confirm it pompous. There was no possible satisfactory reply. She was certain that individuals like him, who played a role in maintaining social order and public safety, were as equally in demand as individuals in her profession were.

He took another sip of the wine and she tilted her head slightly to consider his action and its result. Chardonnay, though a very versatile wine, was best enjoyed chilled and Sophie could only surmise that the drink must now be too warm to be enjoyed: He had lowered the glass and now held it with his fingers upon its rim, seemingly quitting its contents. A moment later, he spoke again:

“So, are you here on behalf of someone or is this purely personal interest?”

She realised, then, that she had remained silent for too long.

“Both,” she replied, with a wry shrug. More important than the function she was currently in attendance, she had agreed to come to NYC to visit an old classmate from Harvard who now worked for the Mount Sinai Hospital. They had research which overlapped. “Charity: Water is the adopted beneficiary of my department. And, you?”

She afforded a mere second of contemplation before a sparkle of mischief lit up her blue-green eyes, and she took a small calculating step towards him. “You aren’t a patron of the charity nor are you representing your organisation---” She lifted a brow and nodded in the direction of the abandoned wine glass, “You don’t seem to be enjoying the wine nor the company of your host… So,” she teased, “why are you here?”

Chase smiled, unruffled by the provocation in her words: “To meet important people I haven’t met in awhile…” There was a pause, and then, “That doesn’t seem like a very good reason, does it?”

Sophie shook her head, laughing lightly, and restored the physical distance between them. His answer was so simple it required no elaboration. “Not at all,” she demurred, graciously.

Before more could be said, however, a low beep sounded, commanding both their attentions.

Chase reached into the inner pocket of his dinner jacket and extracted a handheld device. Sophie regarded him in silence, tepid curiosity in her gaze as she watched him read the message shown on the device’s screen. His casual demeanour gave way to austerity, a mien he seemed more practiced at.

“Miss Conrad,” he smiled apologetically as he looked back at her. “I have a flight to catch but it looks like you’ve given me reason to be here after all.”

Sophie marked the difference that had overcome this curious stranger as a result of a text message and disguised her amusement as she watched him juggle the device, his wine glass, and the task of handing her another business card.

“This card belongs to Dr. Zimmerman, Chief of Medicine at the ACME Medical Centre in San Francisco,” he said.

She relieved him of the card quickly.

“I don’t usually recruit for that wing, but we’re understaffed and looking for management positions. If you know anyone decent, please pass that on for me?”

Not entirely confident of his intention, a brief frown flickered across her face. She gave the card a critical glance: “Certainly.”

Then, she returned her attention to Chase. She accounted for the current occupations in his hands and weighed the options of shaking his hand goodbye or letting him leave of his own device. She decided on the latter. And, despite her detachment, her smile and her wish were genuine. “Have a safe flight, Mr. Devineaux."

* * *​

Author's Notes: Co-written. Thank you, CJ.
First published in March 2010. Edited in February 2012.

Chase

Director
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Boss (situational)
Color #
I'm reading this and thinking -- We met since 2008? Time flies.
I also don't remember how I had Dr. Zimmerman's card conveniently in my pocket...

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • I (Guest) invaderhorizongreen:
    I even have the site white listed, for a wild shot can any of you post a new question in the guessing game I had set up
    Quote Link
    I would like to see if that will get my email to ping
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
    I know that might just be a shot in the dark but why not try
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Sure why not?
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I hope you get it fixed Invader!!
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Dj Inn(Djinn) :
    Dj Inn(Djinn) has left the room.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Good Morning everybody. I hope you all have a wonderful day :)
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know a group of Jellyfish is called a Smack? -Nat Geo
    Quote Link
    Smack O’ jellies is now a term
    • Haha
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((OOC: So, I am still here (at least, while ACP is still a thing, then I have to tether my phone to my laptop, send it's internet to Ethernet to my router and setup my other laptop to access that... I managed it once totally by accident)... updating stuff I'm working on is not a fun process (if anyone checks my stories folder on my Google Drive) anymore... the laptop at my desk is old (Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz, 4 gigs RAM, Win7 Ultimate)... Chrome won't update, Drive won't work... I'm stuck using FreeFileSync to keep stuff up to datep things synced. I have plans of getting a job and having money to have something better (a doorstop is better)
    • Love
    Reactions: Julie Justice
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm sorry if any of my posts are/could be inflammatory or anything... some of them are stuff I've had in the pipeline for a while, and I messed with it enough to get it postable... that's why there are dates showing when I started working on stuff... I'm not, and never have been, trying to step on anyone's toes or say "this is how it should be"... I have no say here, not sure who does these days (like I posted... maybe this is a test to see if we devolve into chaos). Posts like Hierarchy were started long ago, and meant as a guideline and not because I'm the voice of Sauron.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I don't have the time to be here a whole lot, I don't have much beyond mom to help with my rent (and once I have a job, that'll take up more time, though I will keep working on stuff (both for here and not) as often as possible, and post when possible on here. I have a question that needs some clarification... being that we are supposed to get permission from the person if we use their character in an addition/story/post, how would that apply if the character is core to the universe (like Carmen... I can replace @Chase, maybe cobble someone into @Ivy's place... but, like @Carmen, being that she's a major character, as long as I don't have her acting or write a major part for her, would that circumvent the rule at all?
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm just curious... the absence of the major's leaves a gap that I'm not sure what to do with anything... we (the Left Behind) could do a story together (or some stories separate), and that'd be cool, but without being able to use any major's, I'm not sure where to take anything. And, yeah... you can probably guess what my typing is like here (or anyplace else)... I type here or in Word, I type something (or notepad), and 15-20+ seconds later it shows up, so I have to stay on top of my grammar and spelling. I have to keep on top of all that, because I'm working on the big Carmen story at the same time, so I can't slip off my game.))
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Julie Justice Julie Justice:
    @Jon Eckart Not exactly sure if I understand all your computer probs. I hope you get those resolved soon. Yes, I have many probs with my basic Google Chrome, too. I think it's fair to say we all have a love/hate relationship with technology. 😆 As far as your stories are concerned, you can use any cannon character you like, whether there is a person playing that role on here or not. Say the story is a fanfiction; and that the version of Chase, or Carmen (or whoever) from the computer games, gameshow (or whatever). We don't do Netflix Carmen, mostly because of the violence. And because it is fanfiction, you can also create other characters and situations to suit your story. Now, Chase, Carme, Ivy (or whoever) were here, of course, you would ask their permission; tell them your idea; and if they like it they might write it with you. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you for a friendship with someone on--and off-site, you might form a partnership with them, and write stories together (like Chase and Carmen; or Chase and Ivy; or Lucy and I) and then you will just put a statement saying that this story is a co-write with whoever. In fact, if you collaborate with this person a lot, people will just assume they have your permission; although you should always say it anyway, just as a common courtesy. In fact, ironically, the only people whose permission you must always ask to use their characters are "original" characters, who are creations of their individual writers (which most of us on here, are) specifically because we are not cannon. I hope that makes sense. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you want to write something, but don't have a lot of time, I would suggest posting a status; or replying to someone else's status. Or you could start a guessing game. Look under Forums/Guessing Games, and look at some things other people have done, to give you ideas. I hope that helps. 🙂
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know that the Mockingbird is the state bird of 5 states? Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas.
    Quote Link
    It seems the Mock-5 is unstoppable... Go Speed Go!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just heard on the news they're going to have to remove the Sakura trees in Washington because of damage to a sea wall. They have to build a sea wall and replant new trees.
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    They were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the cut down trees to propagate new ones
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
    Affirmative
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Quote Link