“Jacqueline Hyde, get both your selves over here!”
— Carmen, Where in Time season 2 episode 7
“At school they taught me how to be so pure in thought and word and deed
They didn’t quite succeed
For everything I long to do, no matter when or where or who
Has one thing in common too
It’s a... it’s a... it’s a... it’s a... it’s a sin”
— Pet Shop Boys, “It‘s a Sin”
"Jacqueline is sweet and soft-spoken; Hyde's berserk personality loves to cause catastrophes. Jacqueline's dueling dual personalities keep Acme agents on their toes, making her Carmen’s ultimate double agent!"
— Where in Time
((I've loved Carmen since I was about three and watched the PBS game shows. My favorite entry in the franchise, however, is Where on Earth
. I've never quite let up on my Carmen fandom, and I run F**k Yeah Carmen Sandiego
on Tumblr. I am, incidentally, very gay and very trans.
I chose Jacqueline Hyde partly because she's amusing, and partly because I for some reason had a crush on her as a child. And, in small part, because as someone who is both the world's biggest bitch and the world's biggest sweetheart, I can relate to the whole duality thing. Though unlike Jacqueline, I don't actually have dissociative identity disorder...))
- Jacqueline is pan, though she doesn't realize it as she's never thought about it. Hyde is too busy wreaking and enjoying chaos to be attracted to anyone.
- Jacqueline's favorite song is Take a Chance on Me by ABBA.
- Hyde developed a year prior to Jacqueline's meeting Carmen, following a car accident (see this post).
- Jacqueline has a deeply unsettling recurring dream in which she glows red and is horribly mean, with no moral compass at all. She's not sure what, if anything, it means...
AMA thread with more background
- 1959 - Born
- 1975 (age 16) - Car accident; Hyde develops
- 1976 (age 17) - Jacqueline meets Carmen and joins VILE, coming forward in time to Carmen's then-present day
- Age 19 - Present day