Q & A What song best defines your character?

Neb

The VILEiest VILE to ever VILE a VILE
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Nebuchadnezzar (Neb) Ullyss (formerly Kid Kidman), Kitty, Seryy Pripyat
Color #
323E4F
Have a song that totally sums up your guy? Have several, one for each side of them or stage of life? Use the instructions below to embed your songs and explain why they fit. :)

How to Embed Sound and Video | The Elusive Carmen Sandiego

(I think you can embed youtube if your song of choice is not on soundcloud. /defers to @Chase)

Nace Bilby

ACME
Best answers
Well I can think of several different songs for different things in my life, usually revolving around some event.

The first one is Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above. Being Catholic of course hymns from Mass tend to make impressions on me. In this particular case I really remember this song due to an event of great import from the nearly seven years I lived in the United Kingdom. It was playing at the 9 A.M. Mass on 5 June 2005 and I remember being thankful to God that I had fallen in love with a wonderful woman. When I said that to God in my heart and mind the choir had been singing that song.

Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above (youtube)

The second one is Where the Truth Lies by the Exchange. Some may recognize it as the theme to the animated series The Legend of Prince Valiant. The line from the song, "Sometimes I lie awake/I dream of everyone/Who walked the path I take/Who ran beneath the sun" always gets my hair standing on end, and has throughout my life. Every time I hear it there's a certain electric feeling I get that reminds me of previous generations. Since my great great grandfather and his service with the 24th Welsh Regiment against the Zulus a man of my family has served either the British Crown, the nation of Rhodesia (now defunct) or South Africa. I am reminded of the history of honorable military service set by those four generations before me, and throughout my military service this song was a reminder of a source of pride when things got tough.

Where the Truth Lies (youtube):
The third is Fields of Gold by Sting. In very general terms it outlines my philosophies on romantic love. We aren't perfect beings, God knows I am not but love for another is a wonderful gift from the Almighty. In far more specific terms this song is a defining thing because this was the song me and Evey made up after a rather nasty fight before I left for Afghanistan in 2006. This line in particular is poignant to me: "I never made promises lightly and there have been some that I've broken. But I swear in the days still left we'll walk in fields of gold." I might have bollocksed things up in that fight we had, but I meant it every time I told her I loved her.

Fields of Gold (youtube):

The fourth is It's a Long Way to Tipperary. It's a old song from 1914, dating to the British Expeditionary Force that fought in the trenches of World War I. My great grandfather perished in the trenches, leaving behind a wife and children, but he volunteered for the frontline to protect his loved ones. That song to me speaks of those at home that I feel my military service keeps safe from harm, my family and friends. It reminds me of hearth and home. I serve not because I hate the enemy to my front, but I love what I have left behind.

It's A Long Way To Tipperary (youtube):
The fifth song is I am the Bread of Life. It's a hymn I've heard at Mass for many years. It reminds me that God has His plans for us all. We may not understand it at times, and at especially difficult times in my life I recalled hearing it. The first time I was twenty years old, I had failed the selection course for South Africa's Special Forces Brigade having collapsed from exhaustion on an endurance march. I went to Mass to ask God what his plans are and oddly enough I heard this hymn. The second happened on 24 June 2012. Two days earlier I had lost Evey, who I wanted to spend the remaining years of my life with, to Adult Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. I was especially upset and angry and wondered why God took her from me, what possible purpose could that serve and I remembered the choir sang this at that Sunday Mass.

I am the Bread of Life (youtube):
The sixth and final song is Non Nobis Domine. It is a Latin hymn made famous by Kenneth Branagh's film adaptation of William Shakespeare's Henry V. It's origins are a short hymn of thanksgiving derived from Psalm 113:9. The Latin is as follows: "Non nobis, non nobis Domine. Sed Nomini tuo da gloriam." Literally translated it is, "Not to us, Not to us O Lord but to Thy name give glory." This song came readily to mind for me after a test called The Long Drag where I marched for for 64 kilometers (40 miles) with an over 25 kilogram (55 pound) bergen (backpack) and rifle through the Brecon Beacons of Wales. Bear in mind some things, imagine running the London Marathon after being tested to run fast 10KM and half Marathons for four weeks beforehand. And the fifty five pounds didn't include water and food. I had twenty hours to complete this march and was forbidden to use roads or trails and had to navigate by map and compass. I made time, just barely, with literally a minute to spare. A line from William Shakespeare's Henry V also came readily to made, "Praised be God and not our strength for it." I don't know where my strength to finish the event came from, where I marshalled it from, but I did it somehow.

Non Nobis Domine (youtube):

Neb

The VILEiest VILE to ever VILE a VILE
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Nebuchadnezzar (Neb) Ullyss (formerly Kid Kidman), Kitty, Seryy Pripyat
Color #
323E4F
Kidman non-serious RP/around the site - 'Amnesia' by Chumbawamba

Kidman younger, before the Amulet Ritual - 'You were there there' on the ICO soundtrack.

Kidman serious/mature/core self - 'Love' by Delirium

Kidman in Kamchatka - 'You make me feel' by Archive (in this particular video, because the guy just jumping into the hole hit a chord. There's this sort of calm surrender to it)

Kidman's song as to how she feels about Flag and the fallout from the amulet ritual - 'Agnus Dei' by Frank Martin (This video/version in particular)

The Amulet Ritual was a major turning point for Kidman, for not only does she get her memory back (sort of), and not only is it the first time using her 'talent' with another person, and not only does Flag nearly kill her, but she realizes that she has similar demons as him, which pretty well lays out the next stage in her life of coming to terms of what she is capable of becoming. The hopeful ending to this song is the hope Kidman holds for both of them.

Kidman in a healing trance - Vibrasphere - Vertical

Kidman's angry fight song - Hadouken! - Mecha Love

Kidman's jeezus-I-have-do-something-insane song. - The Chemical Brothers - Don't Think (Black Swan Remix) For when things go pear-shaped

Kidman's chilln' in Camp Carmen/screw-all-this-I'm-on-vacation song - Beastie Boys - Song For Junior

Last edited:

Joe Kerr

VILE Trickster
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Joey, Joseph,
Color #
8a2be2

The song that kinda sums up Joe is The Godfather theme song.

There are no lyrics and in a way, Joe is kinda hard to describe with words. Like this song and perhaps every great work of art, Joe is interpreted differently by each person who meets him.
The Godfather movie was about an Italian American Mafia family and Joe has Italian blood in him.
The song harkens back to an era where thieves were honourable and chivalry wasn't dead and that's what Joe is all about.
The song also brings to mind the old days and things like honour, loyalty, family, legacies, heritage - things that should not be forgotten.
The song is also mostly played by violin and the violin itself is a simile for Joe. The violin is a timeless, classic instrument, brilliant in a solo or as part of an orchestra. Joe fancies himself in the mold of the timeless and classic sort of thief, and he can work both solo or as part of a team and either way produces interesting results.

Zack

ACME
Best answers
Known Aliases
Zack, Z, Lil'bro, Dan, Zack-Daniels, Bacon
Color #
No long descriptions. This song is Zack, it's got the bouncy fun tone I feel from working at a place like ACME labs. Carefree but still ambitious.

Smash Mouth - Come On, Come On

Chase

Director
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Boss (situational)
Color #

A decent version of this wasn't entirely easy to find, but...
Chopin: Nocturne in B-flat minor, Op. 9, No. 1

The left hand is consistently repeating simple 8-note arpeggios while the right hand runs free... and the entire score uses only one instrument. It's focused, reserved, intense and efficient.

Heather

ACME
Best answers
Trying to find one song that explains my characters perfectly is almost impossible for me since I'll be listening to songs and be reminded of a character at random. I try to make playlists for them.

This is the only song I have for Olga thus far:

And here's the ###!!! attempt at putting a playlist together for Flag (It'll grow as I come across his songs again):

Sophie

Medical Staff
Best answers
Color #
C8A2C8
There is no one song for Sophie Conrad, but there is a particular rhythm to her and I chanced upon it a few years ago when I heard a snippet of A Night Like This. Then, I had immediately thought, "Sophie!"

Ever since, the allegro in the music of Caro Emerald has never failed to bring up the vision of Sophie walking down streets and hallways (or even, dancing), the movement always accompanied by flashes of red from the soles of her pumps.

Ivy

Commander
Best answers
Known Aliases
Iv', Ives
Color #
Here is Ivy's ringtone and custom guitar riff, composed by the great Sven Fisk. I like to think that it also plays whenever she enters a room.

Then for a more mainstream song that defines her character, I went with The Glitch Mob remix of Seven Nation Army (originally by the White Stripes.) This is the song I hear everytime I think of Ivy training or getting into the STUN Suit.

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((So... is it me or does the board not process double-space between sentences as double-space? Kinda bugs me, but I'll live))
    Quote Link
  • I :
    Guest invaderhorizongreen has joined the room.
  • I (Guest) invaderhorizongreen:
    Deric Storm said:
    Invader, have you checked your spam folder. Sometimes, I've had password reset emails go in there
    yes I have checked spam nothing
    Quote Link
    I even have the site white listed, for a wild shot can any of you post a new question in the guessing game I had set up
    Quote Link
    I would like to see if that will get my email to ping
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
    I know that might just be a shot in the dark but why not try
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Sure why not?
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I hope you get it fixed Invader!!
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Dj Inn(Djinn) :
    Dj Inn(Djinn) has left the room.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Good Morning everybody. I hope you all have a wonderful day :)
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know a group of Jellyfish is called a Smack? -Nat Geo
    Quote Link
    Smack O’ jellies is now a term
    • Haha
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((OOC: So, I am still here (at least, while ACP is still a thing, then I have to tether my phone to my laptop, send it's internet to Ethernet to my router and setup my other laptop to access that... I managed it once totally by accident)... updating stuff I'm working on is not a fun process (if anyone checks my stories folder on my Google Drive) anymore... the laptop at my desk is old (Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz, 4 gigs RAM, Win7 Ultimate)... Chrome won't update, Drive won't work... I'm stuck using FreeFileSync to keep stuff up to datep things synced. I have plans of getting a job and having money to have something better (a doorstop is better)
    • Love
    Reactions: Julie Justice
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm sorry if any of my posts are/could be inflammatory or anything... some of them are stuff I've had in the pipeline for a while, and I messed with it enough to get it postable... that's why there are dates showing when I started working on stuff... I'm not, and never have been, trying to step on anyone's toes or say "this is how it should be"... I have no say here, not sure who does these days (like I posted... maybe this is a test to see if we devolve into chaos). Posts like Hierarchy were started long ago, and meant as a guideline and not because I'm the voice of Sauron.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I don't have the time to be here a whole lot, I don't have much beyond mom to help with my rent (and once I have a job, that'll take up more time, though I will keep working on stuff (both for here and not) as often as possible, and post when possible on here. I have a question that needs some clarification... being that we are supposed to get permission from the person if we use their character in an addition/story/post, how would that apply if the character is core to the universe (like Carmen... I can replace @Chase, maybe cobble someone into @Ivy's place... but, like @Carmen, being that she's a major character, as long as I don't have her acting or write a major part for her, would that circumvent the rule at all?
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm just curious... the absence of the major's leaves a gap that I'm not sure what to do with anything... we (the Left Behind) could do a story together (or some stories separate), and that'd be cool, but without being able to use any major's, I'm not sure where to take anything. And, yeah... you can probably guess what my typing is like here (or anyplace else)... I type here or in Word, I type something (or notepad), and 15-20+ seconds later it shows up, so I have to stay on top of my grammar and spelling. I have to keep on top of all that, because I'm working on the big Carmen story at the same time, so I can't slip off my game.))
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Julie Justice Julie Justice:
    @Jon Eckart Not exactly sure if I understand all your computer probs. I hope you get those resolved soon. Yes, I have many probs with my basic Google Chrome, too. I think it's fair to say we all have a love/hate relationship with technology. 😆 As far as your stories are concerned, you can use any cannon character you like, whether there is a person playing that role on here or not. Say the story is a fanfiction; and that the version of Chase, or Carmen (or whoever) from the computer games, gameshow (or whatever). We don't do Netflix Carmen, mostly because of the violence. And because it is fanfiction, you can also create other characters and situations to suit your story. Now, Chase, Carme, Ivy (or whoever) were here, of course, you would ask their permission; tell them your idea; and if they like it they might write it with you. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you for a friendship with someone on--and off-site, you might form a partnership with them, and write stories together (like Chase and Carmen; or Chase and Ivy; or Lucy and I) and then you will just put a statement saying that this story is a co-write with whoever. In fact, if you collaborate with this person a lot, people will just assume they have your permission; although you should always say it anyway, just as a common courtesy. In fact, ironically, the only people whose permission you must always ask to use their characters are "original" characters, who are creations of their individual writers (which most of us on here, are) specifically because we are not cannon. I hope that makes sense. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you want to write something, but don't have a lot of time, I would suggest posting a status; or replying to someone else's status. Or you could start a guessing game. Look under Forums/Guessing Games, and look at some things other people have done, to give you ideas. I hope that helps. 🙂
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know that the Mockingbird is the state bird of 5 states? Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas.
    Quote Link
    It seems the Mock-5 is unstoppable... Go Speed Go!
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just heard on the news they're going to have to remove the Sakura trees in Washington because of damage to a sea wall. They have to build a sea wall and replant new trees.
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    They were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the cut down trees to propagate new ones
    Quote Link
    Lucy Lucy: Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the...