Best answers
Color #
[Archival Post: Original thread | Posted on Nov 27, 2008]
[Leave comments in the Discussion Thread]

Who:
@Vic the Slick, Carmen Sandiego
What: An informal, one day only RP
Where: Somewhere in V.I.L.E. HQ

Vic cleaned his new shoes and polished them until he could see his own reflection clearly on the black leather and vaguely on the white. When he grinned, he spotted a piece of vegetable between his teeth and dug in with his smallest fingernail to get it out.

Part of his morning routine every day was to clean the shoes, then slick the hair with enough gel to change the colors of the Prismatic Lake. The mustache received extra care. He had to admit that the years were catching up to him and the little bald spot in the middle of his head was getting bigger.

Still, despite having been sent to jail more times than any three random V.I.L.E. agents combined, Vic was happy here. This would be his 10th Thanksgiving with the league.

Carmen

Queen of Crime
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Color #
4:57 a.m.
Inside a silent aircraft, Carmen Sandiego glanced at a green digital clock on a heavily blinking dashboard.Three more minutes.

"Warning," the computer notified, "Refuel."

4:58 a.m.
Carmen smiled to herself and took in a light breath. She pushed her tongue between her teeth, pressing softly--a subconscious sign of reassurance.

4:59 a.m.
The plane eased in for a landing. A sudden pop sounded like clashing thunder in her head, then the dashboard went black. The craft was dead.

5:00 a.m.
"I didn't make it!" Carmen shouted to the simulation engineer when the plane's door slid open with a hydraulic hiss. "You promised me a full hour." It was barely a minute less than advertised, and she was not the type to nag, but such was the reason for these rigorous tests.

"Recheck the system and see if you can get me at least 70 minutes on this thing?" Hopping out, she casually nodded to the other engineers and gathered herself to leave. "Let's schedule another test next week," she waved, "good night, gentlemen."

Leaving the testing facilities and entering the area that many V.I.L.E. agents consider as a second home, Carmen noticed a familiar green suit shining his shoes.

"Are you up early or up late, Vic?" She asked casually, planning to end the conversation in the next two or three sentences.

Vic

Confidence Man
Best answers
Color #
Vic the Slick gave a pathetic sigh and shrugged. "I suppose it's a little of both, Carmen. It's thanksgiving, y'know, and I'm not seeing any celebrating third year in a row!"

Carmen

Queen of Crime
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Color #
"You… celebrate Thanksgiving, US, last-Thursday-of-November Thanksgiving?" This was something new for Carmen. He might have hinted this to her before, but obviously, he never made it clear.

She was silent for a good second or so.

"I thought you hated conformity?"

Vic

Confidence Man
Best answers
Color #
Vic grinned.

"Yeah, that's me, but I like good o' tradition, see? I think we're missing that, here at this HQ."

He stood up and put on the shined shoes. "We don't even do turkey heists, or something with a giant cornucopia…"

Carmen

Queen of Crime
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Color #
"Vic, really," Carmen skeptically ended the topic her way, "maybe next year, I'll even let you plan it." The training had taken all night, and the Thief needed her beauty sleep, or what's left of it.

However, as she started to leave, a conscious thought popped into her mind about seeming insensitive to "The Slick". After all, he had been a willing henchman much longer than some people she considered "friends". Why was he so bothered by a holiday?

"Hold on, Vic," she took a breath, "what is this about?"

Vic

Confidence Man
Best answers
Color #
"It's about Thanksgiving!" Vic merrily threw his arms up into the air, "A time to be nostalgic, to think about what we're thankful for, y'know, Carmen."

Then Vic rubbed his mustache a little, rolling one side to a taper between his index finger and thumb.

"Me and the boys, you give us free time during the Holidays, so we go party, we have fun, we talk." He continued, "but you're never there. Even Patty, she's practically all grown up, when was the last time you saw her?"

"It's Thanksgiving, Carmen, what are you thankful for?"

Carmen

Queen of Crime
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Color #
"I'm…," Carmen couldn't answer right away, and if she did, it might have sounded rehearsed. Worse, this was coming from Vic--Vic the Slick, of all the sentimentally nostalgic henchmen to make her partially soft and retrospective.

Better turn this around, "This is about me not spending free time with you guys?"

Good question Carmen, she thought to herself, let's see Vic answer that one.

Vic

Confidence Man
Best answers
Color #
"You guessed it!" Vic clapped, "the new recruits never even seen you, Carmen, not even with your hat on." He put his hands in his pockets.

"Why don't you, I dunno, come have Thanksgiving dinner with the gang tonight, or join a few of us for Christmas in Sweden before all of us forget what you look like?"

Carmen

Queen of Crime
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Color #
Carmen barely blinked at Vic's request. It was sweet, sure, but joining a henchmen gathering wasn't always--How does she put this?--Proper. She didn't hire people because she needed people, she hired them to support the people she already had in the league. One thing required another, and while she liked socializing, she really couldn't be bothered this time of year. Plans were laid out since September.

"Vic, you know I don't do gatherings," she sympathetically smiled, "but keep me posted, perhaps next year."

With that, she turned on her heels and walked off. It was time for a nice long bath and a three-hour nap. At 10 a.m., she has to initiate a virtual conference with her personal team of investment bankers in Switzerland.

Something told her Vic was going to bring this up again the next time he felt nostalgic, she would have to prepare a better excuse.

Vic

Confidence Man
Best answers
Color #
Shaking his head with a smile, Vic made circles with his foot and sighed. Some things he could never sell.

He shrugged and left the room in his best clothes. The V.I.L.E. henchmen are having an an all-day Thanksgiving barbeque this year with Robocrook at the pit. Later tonight, Eartha, Patty, and Vic were going to ride in Contessa's limo and have a turkey while driving over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Carmen might have enjoyed that, oh well.

[END]​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((So... is it me or does the board not process double-space between sentences as double-space? Kinda bugs me, but I'll live))
    Quote Link
  • I :
    Guest invaderhorizongreen has joined the room.
  • I (Guest) invaderhorizongreen:
    Deric Storm said:
    Invader, have you checked your spam folder. Sometimes, I've had password reset emails go in there
    yes I have checked spam nothing
    Quote Link
    I even have the site white listed, for a wild shot can any of you post a new question in the guessing game I had set up
    Quote Link
    I would like to see if that will get my email to ping
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
    I know that might just be a shot in the dark but why not try
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Sure why not?
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I hope you get it fixed Invader!!
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Dj Inn(Djinn) :
    Dj Inn(Djinn) has left the room.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Good Morning everybody. I hope you all have a wonderful day :)
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know a group of Jellyfish is called a Smack? -Nat Geo
    Quote Link
    Smack O’ jellies is now a term
    • Haha
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((OOC: So, I am still here (at least, while ACP is still a thing, then I have to tether my phone to my laptop, send it's internet to Ethernet to my router and setup my other laptop to access that... I managed it once totally by accident)... updating stuff I'm working on is not a fun process (if anyone checks my stories folder on my Google Drive) anymore... the laptop at my desk is old (Core 2 Duo, 2Ghz, 4 gigs RAM, Win7 Ultimate)... Chrome won't update, Drive won't work... I'm stuck using FreeFileSync to keep stuff up to datep things synced. I have plans of getting a job and having money to have something better (a doorstop is better)
    • Love
    Reactions: Julie Justice
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm sorry if any of my posts are/could be inflammatory or anything... some of them are stuff I've had in the pipeline for a while, and I messed with it enough to get it postable... that's why there are dates showing when I started working on stuff... I'm not, and never have been, trying to step on anyone's toes or say "this is how it should be"... I have no say here, not sure who does these days (like I posted... maybe this is a test to see if we devolve into chaos). Posts like Hierarchy were started long ago, and meant as a guideline and not because I'm the voice of Sauron.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I don't have the time to be here a whole lot, I don't have much beyond mom to help with my rent (and once I have a job, that'll take up more time, though I will keep working on stuff (both for here and not) as often as possible, and post when possible on here. I have a question that needs some clarification... being that we are supposed to get permission from the person if we use their character in an addition/story/post, how would that apply if the character is core to the universe (like Carmen... I can replace @Chase, maybe cobble someone into @Ivy's place... but, like @Carmen, being that she's a major character, as long as I don't have her acting or write a major part for her, would that circumvent the rule at all?
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    [continuing] I'm just curious... the absence of the major's leaves a gap that I'm not sure what to do with anything... we (the Left Behind) could do a story together (or some stories separate), and that'd be cool, but without being able to use any major's, I'm not sure where to take anything. And, yeah... you can probably guess what my typing is like here (or anyplace else)... I type here or in Word, I type something (or notepad), and 15-20+ seconds later it shows up, so I have to stay on top of my grammar and spelling. I have to keep on top of all that, because I'm working on the big Carmen story at the same time, so I can't slip off my game.))
    • Love
    Quote Link
  • Julie Justice Julie Justice:
    @Jon Eckart Not exactly sure if I understand all your computer probs. I hope you get those resolved soon. Yes, I have many probs with my basic Google Chrome, too. I think it's fair to say we all have a love/hate relationship with technology. 😆 As far as your stories are concerned, you can use any cannon character you like, whether there is a person playing that role on here or not. Say the story is a fanfiction; and that the version of Chase, or Carmen (or whoever) from the computer games, gameshow (or whatever). We don't do Netflix Carmen, mostly because of the violence. And because it is fanfiction, you can also create other characters and situations to suit your story. Now, Chase, Carme, Ivy (or whoever) were here, of course, you would ask their permission; tell them your idea; and if they like it they might write it with you. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you for a friendship with someone on--and off-site, you might form a partnership with them, and write stories together (like Chase and Carmen; or Chase and Ivy; or Lucy and I) and then you will just put a statement saying that this story is a co-write with whoever. In fact, if you collaborate with this person a lot, people will just assume they have your permission; although you should always say it anyway, just as a common courtesy. In fact, ironically, the only people whose permission you must always ask to use their characters are "original" characters, who are creations of their individual writers (which most of us on here, are) specifically because we are not cannon. I hope that makes sense. 🙂
    Quote Link
    @Jon Eckart Now, if you want to write something, but don't have a lot of time, I would suggest posting a status; or replying to someone else's status. Or you could start a guessing game. Look under Forums/Guessing Games, and look at some things other people have done, to give you ideas. I hope that helps. 🙂
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know that the Mockingbird is the state bird of 5 states? Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas.
    Quote Link
    It seems the Mock-5 is unstoppable... Go Speed Go!
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just heard on the news they're going to have to remove the Sakura trees in Washington because of damage to a sea wall. They have to build a sea wall and replant new trees.
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    They were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the cut down trees to propagate new ones
    Quote Link
    Lucy Lucy: Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the...