Link to this message

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • Morgan Morgan:
    No, they're tiny in comparison.
    Quote Link
  • Eugene Eugene:
    (I remember what a novelty it was when Walgreens started springing up around Anchorage a few years ago, to the point it made the front page of the news one day.)
    Quote Link
  • Morgan Morgan:
    Although healthcare in the United States is more of the responsibility of its citizens and not its government. Perhaps that's why pharmacies are like shopping complexes.
    Quote Link
  • Jacqueline Hyde Jacqueline Hyde:
    @Eugene i'm pretty sure it was in the news when walgreens came to my hometown too, though we had two rite aids. they didn't get a cvs till about, oh, six or seven years ago.
    Quote Link
  • Morgan Morgan:
    Does a town have to be a certain size before that sort of investment comes in?
    Quote Link
  • Chase Chase:
    It should, but really, this is America... so the size of a town is irrelevant to the potential profit margin. If it's a small town with a lot of people of a certain income bracket, then it's going to get considered before a larger town with a smaller income bracket.
    Quote Link
  • Eugene Eugene:
    I'm sure they do some kind of analytics.
    Quote Link
  • Eugene Eugene:
    Although they made their push up here right before a severe downturn in the state economy, so it's all a gamble.
    Quote Link
  • Chase Chase:
    Always a decent gamble. Even with that Amazon deal thing falling through. Who'd think?
    Quote Link
  • Eugene Eugene:
    Demonizing Amazon seems to be the popular trend lately. I'm having difficulty separating truth from fiction.
    Quote Link
  • Eugene Eugene:
    I'm all for Amazon. The more successful they are, the better my paycheck looks.))
    Quote Link
  • Pitya Ivyr Pitya Ivyr:
    Sets down books and curls up beside fireplace to drift off i am going to head to bed for a bit- Have a field trip tomorrow which means early morning. See you all in a bit.
    Quote Link
  • Morgan Morgan:
    I've heard the news, but I haven't researched that. Was it something about not accepting unions?
    Quote Link
  • Eugene Eugene:
    Good night. Enjoy your field trip.
    +1
    Quote Link
  • Quote Link
  • Morgan Morgan:
    Good night, do sleep well. @Pitya Ivyr
    +1
    Quote Link
  • Chase Chase:
    Have a good sleep
    +1
    Quote Link
  • Eugene Eugene:
    I believe it was more than just unions. Popular politicians resisted Amazon.
    Quote Link
    @Morgan in the case of the nyc hq2, it was partly jeff bezos being an unconscionable human garbage bag, and partly that amazon's presence has had a pretty horrible effect on seattle
    Quote Link
  • Eugene Eugene:
    That, and there were allegations of deals behind closed doors.
    Quote Link
    because amazon higher-ups are paid so well, the housing prices in seattle have gone way up, so people have gotten priced out of their homes.
    Quote Link
  • Morgan Morgan:
    I see, thank you for that, of course. @Jacqueline Hyde
    Quote Link
    and people were angry about the potential for the same thing happening in queens.
    Quote Link
  • Chase Chase:
    There's a vicious cycle going on, really.
    Quote Link
    it's also had a scary cultural effect in that women no longer feel welcome in seattle, if i understand correctly.
    Quote Link
    Jacqueline Hyde Jacqueline Hyde: it's also had a scary cultural effect in that women no longer feel welcome in seattle, if i...