Co-Written Trials & Trust | Part 2

Sophie

Medical Staff
Best answers
Color #
C8A2C8
Trials and Trust
Part 2

The neighborhood they were now driving through was a wasteland this early in the morning. Dull gray tones gave the streets a solemn, dusty view previously hidden by the night. Stagnant water puddles stained paved cement while both neglect and disrepair showed through cracks of all sizes. Colonies of matted rust devoured visible metallic surfaces while aerosolized neon left layered marks on all things vertical and flat.

One noticeable house was coated in brick-red paint, with a dark oak door and whitewashed windows. It was the home of an old woman who had been fostering children for nearly thirty years, and a once-familiar place to the passenger of the silver Camry. As they passed, the waking eyes of sleepy locals attached to the vehicle like billiard balls to a passing magnet.

Chase once had an acquaintance who insisted on charity. She had a list of orphanages and, while it was convenient, recruited him to drive about San Francisco delivering care packages. Eventually, his work got in the way, and she had plenty of other men willing to help her out — many who were much easier to convince than Chase.

The brick-red house stayed in his memory because the old woman who owned it was strangely bitter. She had told him not to play with the children, he would disappoint them later when he never returned; best not to give if only to take. Ever since, he wanted to prove her wrong, but she remained painfully right—

“Director Devineaux?”

He turned towards the voice, awoken from temporary reverie.

“Yes, right,” he paused, “Turn right, ahead.”

A flicker of concern crossed her eyes as she glanced at the man beside her. In the last eight minutes, all Sophie had to gauge of his condition — medical or not — were the glimpses caught within the passenger-side wing-mirror. Bridled tension fixed his posture, but his expression remained characteristically esoteric, betrayed only by the fleeting notion of restlessness that clenched at his jaw. The alternations of light and dark from passing streetlamps only served to further eclipse his sharp features, the weight of his brow a shadow over his light eyes.

“You’d said that someone else was injured,” she continued, with the same gentle prompting that flowed from her previous address, “Can you tell me more?”

“Hispanic male, late-fifties; he has some contusions and minor burns,” the words were terse and Devineaux considered what followed carefully, “He’s a… sort of informant, but uh… he doesn’t have official paperwork.”

Sophie nodded without remark, “And, your arm?”

“Not much,” he studied her, gauging the nature of her question but decided that she was simply being thorough. “The bleeding stopped. Once we’re done with this, I’ll stop by the AMC*.”

“How did it happen?”

That was a little harder to explain, and again, Chase contemplated his words, “I think it might have come in contact with someone’s teeth.”

There was a pause — the slightest frown — as Sophie pressed her lips together, uncertain if that was a dark attempt at humour from the Director and not keen on allowing her amusement light. The GPS application on her mobile device emitted a low ping and she obediently turned into a driveway paved with cracked concrete.

Several streets from the brick-red house was their destination: A small, two-storey apartment building squeezed unnaturally between two others. To its left was a townhouse with torn shingles and a large gap between the porch and entryway, while the other was a semi-renovated home with light greenish sidings that may have once been sky-blue in color.

“Wait out here,” Chase said, as soon as they got out of the car, “I’ll make sure it’s clear.”

To be continued...

*AMC = ACME Medical Center

Jade

ACME
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Jade
Color #
0099FF
This story I read now reminds me of Law & Order,ER and the Streets of San Francisco rolled into one other than that...Tres bien!

Chase

Director
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Boss (situational)
Color #
Thanks Jade, I haven't had much time to write, so doing this in parts and having a writing partner like @Sophie helps leverage greatly.

Zack

ACME
Best answers
Known Aliases
Zack, Z, Lil'bro, Dan, Zack-Daniels, Bacon
Color #
I like that start. That person with the orphanage is deadly familiar. I'm calling it as Carmen. *eats popcorn while he waits for more*

Ivy

Commander
Best answers
Known Aliases
Iv', Ives
Color #
Wait.. how did I miss this? This is great!

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Affirmative
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just found a wolf spider in my house. :D
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    one of the GOOD spiders you want around because they eat all the really bad bugs in the house. We put them outside :)
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know there are over 400 species of parrots in the world??
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know David Attenborough was knighted twice? First in 1985, and again in 2002
    • Wow
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Jade and Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    @Lucy ... don't know if you really want wolf spiders in your home... I'd go for jumping spiders, they can't bite... wolf spiders are the fast movers, and they can bite.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    And, jumpers are cute
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((Will lose my ACP internet towards the end of the month, unless anyone knows about it ending sooner. Trying to switch my Lifeline phone to a better provider that doesn't shut me off after four and a half gigs of data, nothing but failure so far and "call here" and "it's on their end" and the back and forth crap... in the morning, it's time to demand the supervisor and might even get to harsh language (after three days of that). I plan to use the Lifeline phone tethered as Internet source, share that to my own router... I've done it before (it's messy, and not 100% effective, but it works). ))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((The 'net is the main way to apply for jobs now, so I need that, and I've moved/changed Lifeline providers before without an issue, so no idea what the problem is. I have active Verizon through ACP, active Lifeline through Airtalk... is that somehow the issue? If anyone knows, please let me know before I tear someone a new one (ya know what I mean). After three days of this, and two days about a month ago, I'm ready to walk there with katana in hand.))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the phone I have (Samsung Galaxy S9... gotten for free through Airtalk... note to anyone: if you choose a nice phone through them, you are locked into a 120 day "commitment" to get the phone for free, and they have a very hard data limit... once you use up your data, they cut you off, point blank.))
    Quote Link
    Jon Eckart Jon Eckart: ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the...