Best answers
Color #
C8A2C8
Trials and Trust
Part 1

SAN FRANCISCO
JANUARY, 2011
SUNDAY, 0500 hours

She opened her eyes to stare at the narrow sliver of light that sliced across the pale ceiling above, her brow already beginning to furrow in confusion. Then, there it was: the low ping of her work line.

Pushing aside the coverings, Dr Sophie Conrad rolled over and stretched an arm across her bed to reach for the mobile phone. She stared at the screen and her frown deepened. Duly, clearing her throat and expelling all further traces of sleep, she sat up and accepted the call.

“Director Devineaux, good morning.”

“Sophie,” an exhalation followed the name, “I may… I have an emergency, do you think you can meet me outside your apartment in about fifteen minutes?”

Out of bed, already walking across her bedroom and towards the bathroom, she nodded to no one in particular even as he spoke. “Yes,” she confirmed, tapping a switch to squint as light flooded the space.

* * *​

Chase Devineaux had been in a fight and it was barely five in the morning. The silver Toyota Camry, tinted cashmere by the slow dawn, was heading towards 1201, 4th Street.

The Field Director took pride in looking proper, and if he stayed clear of long conversations, he might hide the fact that his night was unusually eventful. His shirt was only slightly ruffled; any discrepancies masked by his jacket. The necktie was in a quickly-made four-in-hand knot, unusual for him, but no one would pick that up. Dashing down 3rd Street with only one hand gripping the steering wheel, he made a quick turn towards 4th Street and nearly passed his intended destination.

With her hands tucked into the pockets of her dark-wash jeans, she stood at the edge of the pavement, haloed by the warm lights of the condominium lobby behind her. The wind disturbed her ponytail, casting streaks of bright-red hair around her shoulders and Sophie raised an eyebrow as a recognisable sedan sped past her before pulling to a harsh stop.

Adjusting the strap of the duffel bag at her side, she calmly covered the short distance.

“How do you know where I live?” she asked as she opened the passenger-side door and climbed in, shifting the weight of her bag onto her lap before holding out a chilled bottle of cold-pressed organic orange juice. Stitched onto the no-nonsense black canvas of the holdall was a singular red-coloured cross.

“Your… files…” his explanation seemed both sufficient and equally empty as he took the offered drink with his right hand. Confused, he read the label briefly before placing the bottle into the cup holder of the middle console.

“Ah… my files.” Sophie scrutinised the Field Director, the beads of perspiration on his brow inconsistent with his stoic façade. He did not appear intoxicated, although he did appear distressed. She considered his mien before pressing her lips together thoughtfully.

“You’re injured,” her observation was matter-of-fact.

“No,” he deviated, but did not want to lie, “I mean -- yes, but I need you to help me with someone else first.”

Hesitating, she narrowed her eyes.

“All right,” she nodded as she picked up the bottle of orange juice and twisted its cap to break the seal, “I have one condition.” Sophie returned the plastic container to rest within the cup holder.

At ‘all right,’ Chase was ready to go, his foot on the accelerator. Yet, he paused at the second phrase.

“Yes?” he inquired, almost impatiently.

I will drive,” the doctor stated, her tone precluding objection. “It’s not possible for you to safely do so with your arm in that condition,” her gaze rested on his guarded left side for a moment, conveying her deductions.

I… drove here, he thought, but did not say. Instead, he reluctantly unbuckled his seatbelt and moved to step out of the vehicle.

Silently, they exchanged places and Sophie offloaded her medical kit onto the backseat before sliding the catch of her seatbelt in place. She tapped the tip of a finger on the loosened cap of the juice bottle before resting her hand on the clutch.

“Where are we going?”

“169, Naples Street,” Chase answered. “Have you been in the area?”

“No,” the reply came after a moment of thought as she began coaxing the Toyota forward before picking up speed to turn into China Basin Street and then onto 3rd Street. “We’ll have to get onto the I-280, yes?”

“Yes,” he affirmed, considering the juice and how he was to negotiate the bottle. Detaching the already-unfastened cap, he drank from it… and drank all of it.

Watching him from the corner of her vision field, Sophie remained silent. She had questions -- many questions -- but sensed that the answers would come in their time. Thus, the duo sped through the minimal early-morning traffic without attempt at conversation, the Camry finally turning right and right again to merge with the I-280.

To be continued...

This was written in 2011 and is currently being edited for publication.
Write drunk, edit sober, as someone so oft repeats.
Apparently, it took us four years to become sober.

Merci beaucoup, Directeur.

Zack

ACME
Best answers
Known Aliases
Zack, Z, Lil'bro, Dan, Zack-Daniels, Bacon
Color #
*gasp!* what happens next? what happens next!? what happens next?!?

Chase

Director
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Boss (situational)
Color #
Write drunk, edit sober. I was drunk you were sober, I think we make a good team.

Neb

The VILEiest VILE to ever VILE a VILE
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Nebuchadnezzar (Neb) Ullyss (formerly Kid Kidman), Kitty, Seryy Pripyat
Color #
323E4F
Suspenssssssssse.
At first I thought this was part of that one story where Chase and Carmen duel with cars (my memory is a little hazy on the particulars. I just remember that Lee's car got totaled somehow), but I'm not quite so sure, especially as, as afor mentioned, my memory is perpetually hazy.

Ivy

Commander
Best answers
Known Aliases
Iv', Ives
Color #
I can't believe I forgot to comment on this. Amazing writing, both of you. We need to find out what happens next.

Flag

V.I.L.E.
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Color #
*Joins the ranks of those unable to wait for the next part and provides two thumbs up for the writing.*

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Affirmative
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just found a wolf spider in my house. :D
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    one of the GOOD spiders you want around because they eat all the really bad bugs in the house. We put them outside :)
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know there are over 400 species of parrots in the world??
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know David Attenborough was knighted twice? First in 1985, and again in 2002
    • Wow
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Jade and Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    @Lucy ... don't know if you really want wolf spiders in your home... I'd go for jumping spiders, they can't bite... wolf spiders are the fast movers, and they can bite.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    And, jumpers are cute
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((Will lose my ACP internet towards the end of the month, unless anyone knows about it ending sooner. Trying to switch my Lifeline phone to a better provider that doesn't shut me off after four and a half gigs of data, nothing but failure so far and "call here" and "it's on their end" and the back and forth crap... in the morning, it's time to demand the supervisor and might even get to harsh language (after three days of that). I plan to use the Lifeline phone tethered as Internet source, share that to my own router... I've done it before (it's messy, and not 100% effective, but it works). ))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((The 'net is the main way to apply for jobs now, so I need that, and I've moved/changed Lifeline providers before without an issue, so no idea what the problem is. I have active Verizon through ACP, active Lifeline through Airtalk... is that somehow the issue? If anyone knows, please let me know before I tear someone a new one (ya know what I mean). After three days of this, and two days about a month ago, I'm ready to walk there with katana in hand.))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the phone I have (Samsung Galaxy S9... gotten for free through Airtalk... note to anyone: if you choose a nice phone through them, you are locked into a 120 day "commitment" to get the phone for free, and they have a very hard data limit... once you use up your data, they cut you off, point blank.))
    Quote Link
    Jon Eckart Jon Eckart: ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the...