AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Boss (situational)
Color #
[Co-written and edited to Chase’s point of view.]

Some time, now or never…
Tarragon, St. Paul’s Bay, Malta

Chase Devineaux took a flight from San Francisco to Milan, a train to Naples, a car to Salerno and then boarded a boat to St. Paul’s Bay in Malta. Granted, he took the long route, but he had more than one associate to encounter. Every stop was a security meeting, except Malta wasn’t in his official itinerary.

Tarragon, an unassuming restaurant with views of the Mediterranean, served some of the best food the island had to offer. Devineaux arrived late afternoon, called the restaurant to confirm a reservation, and checked in at the Gillieru Harbour hotel for a shower. Before he knew it, the sun was setting and he was seated by the maître d' before a North-facing window.

A waiter announced the arrival of his ‘date’ about ten minutes later. She was punctual, as expected. In a laced dress of layered white silk, she wore Italian leather sandals whose strings climbed up her calves and ended in tassels an inch below her knees. Around her neck was a platinum band, plain, understated and hallmarked by a personal jeweler in Venice.

He stood to greet her, she completed the kisses and let the waiter push back her chair as she reclined.

Thanks for coming,” Chase started, turning first to the drinks menu, “Want to… share a bottle or--

Have you had Maltese Wine?” she tapped his wrist.

No,” he answered, “let’s do that, with fish.

Pescatarian?” she laughed lightly and ordered a bottle of chilled Marsovin Sottovoce Ġellewża and two fish dishes. With that out of the way, she studied the man before her and attempted to guess why he would want to meet so fastidiously this summer.

You… want to keep internally guessing, or should I get to it?” Devineaux asked, turning from the cooling seas to his dinner company.

The wine came, he tasted, approved; then both glasses were filled and she took her first sip.

You have documents,” she hinted to the large brown envelope next to him, “I thought we agreed to never speak of work?

Chase smiled, but omitted his usual chuckle at her teasing.

This isn’t work...,” he pulled the envelope into view, “Rosen did as she promised after the operation in Kamchatka, she destroyed the files. Except for a few of yours.

She got rid of your files but kept mine?” her dulcet laughter preceded another sip of rosé, “That sounds like her.

They were important,” he exhaled, “these are yours… incident reports about a hotel fire, child services, everything that got you into the system. It’s not much, but what I have in here are the remaining physical copies.

A silence extended and the thief was momentarily still.

Have you made these digital?” Her question was nonchalant.

Yes…” hesitantly, he told her the truth.

Then send that to me, and burn all this.

Chase breathed, “Wait, there’s more.

Her body language conveyed little, but her eyes clearly hinted curiosity.

Have you heard the name Malcolm Avalon?

Leaning back into her chair, she crossed her legs, “You’re going to tell me about him?

Argentinian businessman, collector, acquired an Amedeo Modigliani sculpture last month?

Modigliani, a Tête de Femme?” she commented and took another casual sip of wine, “Good turn-of-the-century pieces are rare, do you know his broker?

Hold on,” Devineaux paused, “let me focus.

Then focus,” she mildly mocked him and put her glass down for the waiter to refresh.

The night of the fire, Avalon lost both his wife and daughter, there’s a corresponding police report… a few newspaper articles…” Chase scrolled through items on his tablet, “You were found not far from the hotel…

Salads arrived and she took a bite. Then she watched him move around making his case, and gave a slight approving nod.

It could have been sloppy police work, or some misunderstanding, but at the time, nobody made the connection.

And why are we trying to make this connection?” her question lingered at the word ‘why’, “Is it so impossible that my mother was an undocumented hotel staff?

You think that’s your story?

I think it makes no difference,” that statement flowed easily, and Chase believed her.

Right,” Devineaux nodded, “So, some of ACME was at Avalon’s Buenos Aires Hacienda when the Modigliani was delivered, small party.” The detective moved to an image of ACME’s Secretary of the Board Gunther Metzger among some nameless faces in front of a large artwork, “The woman in that painting--

She held his arm to better study the picture.

Chase,” she sighed, “why didn’t you start with this?

[Continued...]

Jade

ACME
Best answers
AMA
findcarmen.com
Known Aliases
Jade
Color #
0099FF
What an excellent story to start with...(And yes that name (Malcolm Avalon) I remember what happened (WOEICS? the two part episode: Can you ever go home again?) can't wait to find out what happens next.

Eartha

Personal Trainer
Best answers
Known Aliases
Earth, Edyth, EB, Sheila Rose
Color #
C17E00
I like this part best, of the co-writing in this series. Sets the tone for the whole thing.

Latest posts

Latest threads

New Journals

Neutral Grounds
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just heard on the news they're going to have to remove the Sakura trees in Washington because of damage to a sea wall. They have to build a sea wall and replant new trees.
    Reactions: Jade
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    They were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo!
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Okay wait. Only 158 of the 2,500 have to be taken down. They are also taking clippings from the cut down trees to propagate new ones
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Is everyone ready for the solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024? :)
    Quote Link
  • Invader Invader:
    yes
    Quote Link
  • Tenchi Masaki Tenchi Masaki:
    Affirmative
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Laverna Laverna:
    I’m staying inside
    Reactions: Lucy
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    I just found a wolf spider in my house. :D
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    one of the GOOD spiders you want around because they eat all the really bad bugs in the house. We put them outside :)
    Reactions: Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know there are over 400 species of parrots in the world??
    Quote Link
  • Lucy Lucy:
    Did you know David Attenborough was knighted twice? First in 1985, and again in 2002
    • Wow
    • Interesting
    Reactions: Jade and Tenchi Masaki
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    @Lucy ... don't know if you really want wolf spiders in your home... I'd go for jumping spiders, they can't bite... wolf spiders are the fast movers, and they can bite.
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    And, jumpers are cute
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((Will lose my ACP internet towards the end of the month, unless anyone knows about it ending sooner. Trying to switch my Lifeline phone to a better provider that doesn't shut me off after four and a half gigs of data, nothing but failure so far and "call here" and "it's on their end" and the back and forth crap... in the morning, it's time to demand the supervisor and might even get to harsh language (after three days of that). I plan to use the Lifeline phone tethered as Internet source, share that to my own router... I've done it before (it's messy, and not 100% effective, but it works). ))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((The 'net is the main way to apply for jobs now, so I need that, and I've moved/changed Lifeline providers before without an issue, so no idea what the problem is. I have active Verizon through ACP, active Lifeline through Airtalk... is that somehow the issue? If anyone knows, please let me know before I tear someone a new one (ya know what I mean). After three days of this, and two days about a month ago, I'm ready to walk there with katana in hand.))
    Quote Link
  • Jon Eckart Jon Eckart:
    ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the phone I have (Samsung Galaxy S9... gotten for free through Airtalk... note to anyone: if you choose a nice phone through them, you are locked into a 120 day "commitment" to get the phone for free, and they have a very hard data limit... once you use up your data, they cut you off, point blank.))
    Quote Link
    Jon Eckart Jon Eckart: ((And, thoughout this process, I want to port my number (have the info for that) and use the...