I May Be Switching My Internt Provider

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Julie Justice, Jun 17, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Julie Justice

Julie Justice Agent

ACME Detecive
    Color #:
    White
    Hello. Just to let everyone know, we might finally be making the the switch to another provider for a phone/internet/cable on Monday. I was told that this should cause me any problems, but I would like someone to know, in case it does.

Thank you. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    Lucy likes this.
  2. Jade

Jade Writer

Free agent and amateur detective
    Color #:
    0099FF
    Did somebody told you about that,Julie? Because I'm worried my stories will never go through I remember and I got over it but this will be a nightmare for me.:(

3. Invader

Invader Writer

Janitor
    Color #:
    0000FF
    Good to have a heads up, I wish you the best.

4. Julie Justice

Julie Justice Agent

ACME Detecive
    Color #:
    White
    Thanks, Invader. ;)

5. Lucy

Lucy Agent

Student
    yes very good to know and I hope it goes off without a hitch :)

6. Julie Justice

Julie Justice Agent

ACME Detecive
    Color #:
    White
    OK, it supposed to happen yesterday, around 5: 00 r 6:00 pm, but our current provider put some kind of "freeze" on our number and info, so that the new provider was not able to "port" our info like they had wanted. The service call to have equipment installed (because we are now getting cable TV also) is supposed to be in 2 to 3 business days. And we are also supposed to be getting a partial refund from our current provider on our current bill to due to their mistake, putting a freeze on our info.

But, I'll BELIEVE it when I SEE it. Hahaha. ;)

7. Invader

Invader Writer

Janitor
    Color #:
    0000FF
    I hope that you can get this taken care of soon.

Julie Justice likes this.
  8. Julie Justice

Julie Justice Agent

ACME Detecive
    Color #:
    White
    The switch is supposed to happen in 2 or 3 days. My mom talked to Time-Warner, and they said that they will assign a new number to us temporarily, and once the switch is complete, we may switch back to our current number if we choose to.

Also, I tried to use my "Julie Justice" g-mail, and was not able to do so. I thought that it was just a simple case or not remembering the e-mail or password correctly, since it had been a while since I had used it. So I tried to set up a new one. But apparently, you cannot set up a new g-mail unless you have a cell phone. It is now part of the "required field" when you fill out your info. I have been on TECS for a little over a yr, and set up that account to talk to people on here, because we were supposed to get one of these 'bundles" a long time ago, and even then, I was concerned that there might be a problem making the switch. And a cell phone number was not a requirement then.

The same is true for Yahoo!! too. I had a Yahoo mail under my real name, in 2010 or 2011, to talk to a a friend in England. But we stopped talking to one another (we are still friends on Facebook) and because I hadn't used that account in over a yr, they chose to delete it, which is OK, I guess, if that is their rule. But I tried to set up a new account as "Julie Justice" on Yahoo!! and I wasn't able to, because a cell phone number is also required for you to set up a new account on there, also. I understand why they suggest you give them one; most people do have at least one cell phone, and it supposedly gives you a little extra bit of security or whatever. But g-mail and Yahoo!! are supposed to be FREE services, and not everyone has a cell phone for whatever reason, and I don't understand why it is required. And I am not comfortable asking other people to use their cell phone number in that way.

So, if I am off of here for a few days, that is why. And if I am off of here for anything more than a few days, I WILL NOT BE HAPPY!! LOL!! I will try to write on here some more later, and in the next few days, too, but if I am not able to, and especially if you do not hear from me at all in the coming days, I ask that you take over for me, and that you continue to keep "Julie Justice" in anything that we are writing together, just in case. ;)

Lucy likes this.
  9. Jade

Jade Writer

Color #:
    0099FF
    believe me,Julie I'm in Yahoo for two years and I don't own a cellphone anyway just click on 'remind me later' keep applying otherwise I have nothing to say.

10. Lucy

Lucy Agent

Student
    Justice, it was just a suggestion I had to come join us on Hangouts. I thought maybe you would like to talk to people offline or something :) I even found your old account with google :) If you still want to we could try and figure it out. I know I just made an account not too long ago with Yahoo, I think there is a way to get around it somehow like Agent West suggested. Does your friend that set up your FB account know how to do that? Maybe she can help you figure out how to get around the phone number thing? :)

11. Julie Justice

Julie Justice Agent

ACME Detecive
    Color #:
    White
    Hello Discovery. Just found out for certain that someone from Time-Warner will be coming over here tomorrow, between 1:00-2:00 pm tomorrow. I really didn't think that they would do that since tomorrow is a Saturday. As I said, if there is a prob, and I am temporarily off-line, due to this, someone please takeover for me in stories that we are co-writing together.

I was telling my bff that set up my FB about my probs with Yahoo!! and Google e-mail accounts and she had no idea how to get around needing a cell phone number to set it up. I would love any advice that you or Jason could give me, about how to use my original 'Julie Justice" g-mail, and using Hangouts, etc. It would be just another way to stay in touch with my great friends here. ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Lucy likes this.
  12. Julie Justice

Julie Justice Agent

ACME Detecive
    Color #:
    White
    Well, the guy from Time-Warner was over today, and now we have 20 channels of very basic cable, which is not a lot, considering that we were misinformed, and thought that the Basic Cable Package was the same as the Standard Cable Package, which is 100 channels. Still, when you consider that before the switch to all-digital TV, we had 9 (non-cable) channels and before today we like 4 (non-cable) channels came in (depending on the weather) and 3 of them were "Ion" channels, just getting 20 channels, including local channels + internet + home phone for the same price as just internet+home phone for 2 yrs. is a good thing.

For some reason, Windstream made a mistake and has no record of our previous conversations about wanting to make this switch, and about wanting to port all our info over to Time-Warner and "can't do it on the weekend," so Time-Warner gave us one of their numbers to use til Monday, when we will be able to switch back over to the number we wanted. I have been assured that this will have no affect on our e-mail, or any site that that I used this e-mail on, including this one. I have been told that is what "porting" means. But, only time will tell if this is true, and the moral of this story is: When someone tells you how great something is..how it's going to be soooo easy...and "piece of cake..." don't believe them!! LOL!! ;)

Lucy likes this.
  13. Jade

Jade Writer

Color #:
    0099FF
    Well Julie I have a have different cable provider where live in that maybe what cause my posts from the latest didn't appeared so there you go.:confused:

14. Julie Justice

Julie Justice Agent

ACME Detecive
    Color #:
    White
    Hello Everyone. Well, here is the update for today: We had some kind of power outage this afternoon. Nothing too severe, and it didn't last too long...just long enough to mess our newly installed cable up though (LOL!!) and we did have a bit of a prob getting it restored. Everything is OK now, though. And we also had to check to see if our home-phone number had successfully been ported from Windstream to Time-Warner yet, which was Winstram's error on the first place. I don't think it has yet, for some reason. So we're using the one Time-Warner gave us, I think.

Hello Jade. (Despite all this annoying stuff with changing our internet provider!! LOL!!) I think I've done pretty well learning about, and using all this technology stuff, considering all the things that have changed since I started using computers in 1984!! LOL!! But I still don't know enough to tell you why you might have probs posting on here sometimes. I know how frustrating it can be. But I'm sure if you can be patient, someone here will look into that for you. People here are always so nice and helpful whenever you have a prob with something. :)

Jade likes this.
  15. Jade

Jade Writer

Color #:
    0099FF
    You're right,Julie! And I know an old saying...Patience wins the race!:)

16. Invader

Invader Writer

Janitor
    Color #:
    0000FF
    Good to have an update.

17. Julie Justice

Julie Justice Agent

ACME Detecive
    Color #:
    White
    Hello everyone. We FINALLY made the switch from Windstream to Time-Warner on July 15. So, it took literally a month...WAY TOO LONG!! LOL!! And We still have yet to see this rebate, or refund, or whatever that we were supposed to get from Windstream. The moral of the story is: If you can choose between Windstream and anyone else, choose ANYONE else!! Also, if you drop your TV remote on the floor, the ON/OFF BUTTON may stop working...although it only costs $20 to replace it.

Also, I'm having trouble with my computer keyboard, so if it takes a little longer for me to finish my typing, or if my spelling in worse than usual, that is why!! LOL!! ;)

: Chase, Zack